none
Document Retention Policy on Modified Date (recycle) Loop? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document retention policy on a library. I added a very simple email notification to allow the user to edit first. 

• Modified + 1 day (Workflow) Send Email
    • Modified + 2 days (Send to Recycle Bin)

If the user does not edit the file it will go to the second step and move the file to the recycle bin. That works well.

However, if the user edits the file, it appears to stop the process. Good news is the file is not moved. But bad news is, it remains indefinitely. It does not start the process over.

Any suggestions? Should I enable the workflow to run if the file is edited? At present that is off. OR should I set the retention process to "repeat this stage's action until the next stage is activated" . If yes, should the recurrence period be set to 1 day, 2 day or 3 days 

• Edited by TxSteve Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi TXSteve- your first idea is best. Have the workflow run on creation and change.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Appreciate the feedback. Thank You!

To recap, I went to the Workflow in Designer, and clicked the checkbox next to run workflow when anything changes. The other setting has always been set to allow Manual Start of the workflow. This is when the Retention policy runs, it will start the workflow. So I didn't see a need to also add a check to the Start when an item is created as the retention policy already does this. 

I'll monitor for the next few days and see what happens. Thank you again!

Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:41 PM
  • Ok that was a disaster. I had to deselect the Run workflow when anything changes. As soon as I would create new, it ran and sent the email instantly. It should wait until the date to run as it had been. So that is not a fix. Think I will toggle the Retention setting: Recurrence = Every 1 Day to see what result I get.  
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Anyone?

I'll rephrase the issue. 

I created a retention policy and a workflow to check the last modified date and look for 1yr. When reached send an email to the creator and the modified by user. If the document is not touched with 1 week, the record is moved to the recycle bin. If it is touched, it does not move the file to the recycle bin. To this point it appears to work fine. 

The problem is after the workflow runs, it does not recycle. Meaning if more time went by, it does not check the new modified date and restart the process. 

A previous suggestion was to toggle the workflow to run when anything changes. The issue there is, it runs immediately. Meaning, if a document was waiting a year, it no longer does. Now it runs as soon as it is touched. 

Suggestions?

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 1:27 PM
  • check out my reply in:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/58496c7a-5c42-46c6-a3e6-18aace505689/expiration-policy-reset?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:06 PM