none
Drag and Drop from Outlook to a browser based application RRS feed

• Question

• I have been researching the drag and drop function of dragging an email message or its attachments from Outlook to a browser based application (non-MS). What I've learned is that Outlook doesn't use the "standard" CF_HDROP format and because of this, browsers cannot recognize the D&D. I have seen that there are a few 3rd party add-ins that may work around this but to be honest, the sites that host them don't look very professional and possibly even suspect. The fact that they are freeware doesn't help either. This means that getting support for them will be practically nil. This is for a very large enterprise business so that kind of solution isn't a viable one. Does anyone know if there is a way to force or modify Outlook so that it uses this CF_HDROP format? Or do you know of any legitimate resources to achieve this behavior? We are currently on Outlook/Exchange 2010 and in the process of migrating to Outlook/Exchange 2016 and O365.

Thank you

• Edited by jeverson Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, it's not supported to directly drag and drop an email message or attachment to a browser based application. Based on my understanding, the message or attachment in Outlook email is stored in Outlook data file (.pst or .ost), which is not in a format that can be dragged directly. So, we have to first convert it to a file that can be read by dragging it to your desktop.

Or, you may have a look at the following blog article which provided some insight on this issue:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdav_101/2008/04/01/drag-and-drop-with-outlook/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

We encountered the same issue and developed a simple Outlook AddIn that converts emails and attachments to so the CF_HDROP format is used.

If you are not able or willing to develop you own solution you can take a look onwww.outlook-drag-drop-to-browser.com where you can download the plugin.

Cheers,

Jasper

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi Jasper,

We even run into the similar problem and planning to develop an Outlook Plug-in.

Could you please provide your inputs on the plug-in development. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!

Sri

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:35 PM