none
Office Professional Plus 2010 Keeps Configuring / Installing when opening any of the apps

Question

• Ive read about this with other versions of windows but no real solution. Had Office professional 2007 installed on the pc (Win 7 64bit) un-installed it and installed Office Professional 2010 (not beta).  Every time I open an app it wants to configure and setup. Ive tried repairing, uninstalling/reinstalling.  Anyone know how to get it to stop this behavior?
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 3:28 PM

Answers

• This is a quick and simple fix.  If you have a previous version of Office installed say 2003 or 2007, Word 2010 will try to configure

every time.  Simply hold the start+r key and enter in this command into the registry and all your problems will be fixed

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Jason

• Proposed as answer by aioria2278 Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:52 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:38 PM
  • I did a 2007 to 2010 upgrade and it finished with no errors, however I get the same message on any program I start

I have the same problems and tried all of these remedies. Nothing works.

However - an interesting note is that if I double click on the exe in the program file directory it starts flawlessly. Is that helpful? 

Also I can drag the file from the program directory and create a shortcut on the desktop and it works flawlessly - no install message.

Someone look at the properties in each shortcut and permissions. One works and one doesn't. I do not know enough to know what to change but the answer might be there.  At least you will be able to manually start them without hassle, but need to associate with .doc file to have it invoke the same starting properties by default. not sure where to do that.

I have gone in and manually changed the registry and I have made the delay times less on startup but it is still looking for something, or for entries that the installer never put in the registry.

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Midnight EyeZ Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, try to start the Office program in safe mode to see if this is related to some add-ins.

Suggestion 1: Start the Office program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

Disable add-ins

1. Click File menu, click Options >  Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.
    2. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
    3. Close the Office program and restart it.
    4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

However, if the problem persists in the safe mode, I suggest trying to completely uninstall Office 2010 and then install it.

Suggestion 2: Completely reinstall Office 2010

Here are the detailed steps:

========================

First, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove Program Files), Locate the Office program and uninstall it.

Then, you can try to manually uninstall Office 2010 by the steps below: 

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe  

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start  -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office standalone products, such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click the “Start” peal, in the Search box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate14" to "OfficeUpdate14OLD"

9. Click Start, in the Search box, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

10. Empty the Temp folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don't influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer.

13. Try to reinstall Office 2010 again.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:53 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:49 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Tried all that and now it won't even install gives the error below. Never had such an problem installing office. And I'm a full admin on this pc

Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key

UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\E7D00F5B8149DC4E

Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Sally,

I have the same behaviour.

Theres a few problems here.

1) Can someone explain in what scenario the installer SHOULD behave like this? I can see when it is desirable to have a feature install on first use but when do you want the installer to run EVERY TIME an app starts and then presumably fail to commit whatever it did ? This is flawed behaviour, the sooner MS Admit this the better for us all.

2) I cannot send this script to all my users. Is it normal practise to have to use regedit when you buy Microsoft Office ?

3) I have similar problem with Visual Studio 2010. When I run the build process the installer starts ! Presumably I have a similar sey of uninstalls & registry entries for that issue ?

Can you guarantee that if I install these two products on a clean windows 7 install that this will not happen ?

Guy

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:11 AM
  • I have the same problem and one extra. (2 ISSUES)

1. Every time I try to run Word, Excel, etc., a window opens with the title "Configuration Process" (in spanish btw), and then after few minutes, the application starts, it keeps reinstalling.

2. The other issue is that the entire microsoft office doesn't recognize it's file types, for example, instead of the usual file icons for word, excel or other documents, the only thing that appears is a white square and if you arrange all the files in a detail view, it only says Excel.Sheet.8 instead of the correct description, this is happening for all my documents.

Here is my background step by step:

1. First i uninstalled the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta

2. Rebot

3. Then, ran Windows Install CleanUp and deleted all Offices 2010 entries.

4. Then, Ran CCleaner and clean the registry.

5. Removed Office 2010 folder from Program Files and the registry like the description above.

6. Reboot.

7. Installed new Microsoft Office 2010

8. After finished, reboot.

9. Nothing working.

10. Repeating process x 10 times around 3 days.

11. Well, I'm here feeling like a desperate housewife asking for help and going blind for watching the screen too much time.

SUGGESTIONS??????

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:10 AM
  • I have the same Problem. Everytime I start an office app the windows installer comes up and office is configuring.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

im having the same problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I am in the same situation, laptop with Windows 7, 64-bit, configures each time I start Word or Excel, will try to un-install but not to hopeful....

and by the way, that link will not open for me........

• Edited by The_Snowman Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:53 PM add line
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I did a 2007 to 2010 upgrade and it finished with no errors, however I get the same message on any program I start

I have the same problems and tried all of these remedies. Nothing works.

However - an interesting note is that if I double click on the exe in the program file directory it starts flawlessly. Is that helpful? 

Also I can drag the file from the program directory and create a shortcut on the desktop and it works flawlessly - no install message.

Someone look at the properties in each shortcut and permissions. One works and one doesn't. I do not know enough to know what to change but the answer might be there.  At least you will be able to manually start them without hassle, but need to associate with .doc file to have it invoke the same starting properties by default. not sure where to do that.

I have gone in and manually changed the registry and I have made the delay times less on startup but it is still looking for something, or for entries that the installer never put in the registry.

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Midnight EyeZ Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:32 AM
  • This is a quick and simple fix.  If you have a previous version of Office installed say 2003 or 2007, Word 2010 will try to configure

every time.  Simply hold the start+r key and enter in this command into the registry and all your problems will be fixed

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Jason

• Proposed as answer by aioria2278 Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:52 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:38 PM
  • I believe it's coz the file path of the start menu shortcuts installed only lead to the Office14 folder, whereas if you create the shortcut the file path leads directly to the program, so create the shortcuts directly from the exe file...If you've upgraded an older version of Office as opposed to a new installation, use Mastery's registry command below and that should solve the problem...
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Why did you mark your response as the answer when the user says it does not fix their problem? This is not only WRONG, but it basically tells others that the problem is solved when it is NOT solved.

Herb Tyson Microsoft Word MVP

Herb Tyson Word Bible Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:07 PM

Jason

This was like the miracle fix, I did that and that really worked for me , I have Windows 7 ultimate and I uninstalled Office 2007 with the regular uninstaller , after that I ran a registry cleaner , then I removed the rest using clean up utility , after a new installation I experienced the same issue , but as soon as I typed the the command provided by Mastery no more configuration window, in my case it was only appearing opening Word , now everything is perfect, Thank you very much.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Why did you mark your response as the answer when the user says it does not fix their problem? This is not only WRONG, but it basically tells others that the problem is solved when it is NOT solved.

Herb Tyson Microsoft Word MVP

Herb Tyson Word Bible Blog

Sorry, I marked it as answer on on June 09, and the customer replied on June 12th. I am sorry that I have not noticed that the customer replied so I did not unmark my answer timely.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:52 AM
  • This works on an XP machine using Office 2000 and Office 2010. Thank you.

However:

1) Why is this necessary?  For heaven's sake, Microsoft!

2) Why did the install fail to put icons on the desk top or start menu entries? We had to find the .exe files and instal icons manually!

3) We are having to save each of about 50 templates as .doc files, load into 2010, save as its templates. Multiplied by user, this is weeks of labour.

Comment

Frankly, this version of Office is much more trouble than it is worth. We evaluated Office 20077 and dropped it because none of the key strokes and habits that people had spent decades acquiring were retained, and against this penalty, nothing useful was added.

I had Microsoft as a client and put these points to them at the highest level. Yes, they saw the point. Yes, maybe a classic interface would eb a good thing, to retain the cleint base. After all, what does MS have except a billion trained users?

In fairness, this new app seems to be slightly better - it's just a visual representation of a text-based menu, and does not permanently obscure most of the screen. However,  it is completely impossible to configure to user requirements and does not take on the desk top theme. It is designed to dictate what a user can do, rather than allow them to configure it to their work styles. In two decades of using Office I have never seen a presentation or a document that uses a stored template. People want to do what they want to do. They do not want a heap of 'chart junk' imposed on them. 

A crucial feature for usability is the personal template, which is usually marginally different by user - corporate letetrhead, individual title and telephone - say - or else radically different. Either way, people want to shape these for themselves and of course to use them. However, unless we have cocked this up, in this package peoples' personal templates are hidden under an icon and it requires two clicks to find. Worse, the tempale selection page uses vast icons that run below the bottom of the screen. If you click into personal templates they are sudeenly tiny and in a quite different format. "An I still in Word?" was a frequent comment.

In general, it seems that interface items heterogeous in appearance and therefore confusing to users Just as an example, the main UI is different from the file menu, which is different from pop ups which use the desk top UI. People do not know which app they are responding to, half the time. "Is that one from Dreamweaver, or from Windows?" "Why does the file find box look different this time?" The famous ribbon is extremely blurry and hard to read -- one guy with maculitis cannot read it at all, but has no trouble with Office 2000. Yes, I can customise it but only in groups: good old O2000 allows me to have two permanent task bars docked and always visible,m containing the 30 or so commands that i actually use. This is just a blurry heap of redundant stuff that I do with a key stroke: an icon to underline, to go bold? Crazy.

It seems a mess. I think we will stick with Office 2000.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:55 AM
  • The NoReReg registry key came about to suppress registration of the Office applications when mixed versions of Office are installed, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447.  This issue appears to be specific to Word although it is possible it affects other Office applications. 

For those still seeing the problem after setting the registry key or for a different scenario, please consider calling Microsoft and open a support case.  You can find the support options here, http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0.  This kind of issue can be difficult to resolve in forum discussions.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:31 PM
  • I tried all the other things, tried what Jason said, did not do it right, tried to it every way. Then did exactly what Jason said. It worked perfect.

I also changed "Word" to "Excel" & "Outlook" and worked for them also.

Thank you very much Jason!

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:11 PM
  • I had the same exact problem, After hours of searching forums I tried the following.

Went to Microsoft Site and downloaded the Trial version of Software instead of entering the trial key code

I entered the key code that came with my software, Every App works great. No configuring, reinstalling etc.

Seems simple but it works.

Chris.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:46 AM
  • I do have the same problem with my new Office Professional Plus 2010. It's installed on a new Dell XPS 8100 computer (on which office 2010 starter was pre-installed) I removed 2010 starter from my computer and also from the register. Followed all the suggestions in this threath. Nothing helps.

In Outlook Office reconfigures with every e-mail I recieve. That about a hundred times a day.  When I start Word, Excel etc Office is re-configuring etc etc.

Found one strange thing. I installed as recommanded bij Microsoft the 32 bits version. Most of the installation is located in the x86 programm files map. But there is also a little part in the programm files of the 64 bits programms? Some little parts of groove and visio. That part is installed one minut before the installion in the x86 map.

Just looking for the right tric? Who can help me?

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I've spent about 10 hours on this and have finally made some progress.

I looked at the Event Viewer and found some keys that generated permission errors during the configuration process:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.msg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.docx

I looked at the keys using regedit and received an error that I could not view permissions due to rights but I could take ownership.  Once I had ownership I could see child keys and values.  I thought this would be the easy solution like others have posted but after further investigation I found a large amount of other office related keys (.dotx,.oft, etc) under Classes with the same problem but they weren't showing up in the event viewer. I then checked permissions on to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes and and received a different message and a warning (wished I had a screen shot).  Basically, the key had no owner.  The message indicated that this was dangerous from a security perspective because anybody could take ownership.  I looked at another pc and admins group was the owner so I made admin group the owner on the troubled pc.

I then uninstalled Office and all of the keys with bad permissions were deleted. After reinstalling Office, all apps now work and start within seconds.

New problem: My PC has locked up at random 3 times.  I'm not sure if or how it is related.  The Event Viewer shows 2 McAfee related drivers that failed to load just before the lock up - mfetdik & ntcdrdrv.  It seems to be working fine now but there is endless disk activity.

Possible Answer is:

Check ownership of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes and add Administrators if there is no owner.

Remove and reinstall Office 2010.

• Proposed as answer by bill4343 Saturday, November 6, 2010 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Here is something I notice.  if I right click on Word 2010 and select run as administrator it starts immediately.  If I run the same with the account i'm logged on with, which is in the administrator group, it goes through the configuration and annoying re-install.

What does this mean?

bill westman
    • Proposed as answer by 1nd1g0 Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:14 AM
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 5:11 PM
  • This appears to be the solution from other readers comments but your suggestion is much too short for me to understand what to do. Please explain what you mean by holding the start + r key (where is that and how do I do it?) and where do I enter the command that you put there in the registry? I would really appreciate an answer. Thank you.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Ive tried all Microsoft fix-it's to remove any variation of office3 verified nothing named office is left on this pc and did a clean install of office professional 2010 yet it keeps doing this. This is highly frustrating and for the money this software costs users should not have to deal with this.  Fix this junk software already I've read all over users are experiencing this issue in varying degrees.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:44 PM
  • ok so if you have both office 2007 and 2010 installed you have to had the reg for both

office 2010

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

office 2007

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

office2003

add them all if you having problems

Friday, December 24, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Can you please tell me the same type of Registry fix available for windows live mail 2011.  After I installed it, I was getting a configuration message each time I launched the program.  I know it has something to do with the registry and windows installer.  Could you please suggest a fix to me?
    Friday, February 4, 2011 12:24 AM
  • THIS WILL FIX LIVE MAIL AND OFFICE RECONFIG PROBLEMS

This problem appears to be a registry permissions problem. Office changes access permissions to certain registry folders to prevent changes by the PC user, administrators and system. Different versions of Office do this in different ways. The result is that after several versions of Office are installed, the software can no longer access the registry to configure and hence repeats configuration each time it starts. Office 2003 seems to be the worst culprit. Microsoft should have fixed this.

Repairing the registry or attempting to reset permissions will not work because access to Office folders are blocked for changes.

The only solution that I have found that works is to do the following:

- Remove all versions of Office. If this is not possible try System Restore to restore to a previous date without Office. As a last resort use the Microsoft Office Removal Tools (or Fixits). Be warned these can mess up your OS.

- Disable or remove any AV software. If you have .Net installed, remove it.

- Reboot the machine into Windows 7 (or Vista) and perform a repair install. To do this insert the Windows DVD, make sure it matches the version you have installed and have your license key ready. Start install and when you get the screen to choose upgrade or new install, choose upgrade. Windows should install itself over the existing installation keeping all programs and files intact. However you will loose any Windows updates. These will have to be reinstalled later.

- Machine will reboot into Windows, enter your license key and reactivate.

- Proceed to install the version of Office you want, plus reinstall your AV software and .Net.

This should fix the problem

Monday, February 7, 2011 4:57 PM

Jason

This worked for me, made me smile at how easy it was now I don't get those issues anymore.

If you are looking for the start key its the one with the microsoft windows logo on it, hold down r and the start key together, then copy and paste the command in the post above hit ok and then try opening up a ms program.

Big thumbs up for Jason!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:07 AM
  • I have tried every possible fix on this page, and nothing has worked. What a waste of money Microsoft.
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:38 AM
  • FluxCapacitor, 

I have a question for you. 

I tried to open the exact registry entries you pointed to, both prompted the same response:

".Docx cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from opening. 

Details: Access is denied."

Then I went to all file types associated with Office (and then even to my Nitro PDF Reader key, which also starts configuring with the same error message as all Office programs).

It seems to me the problem is definitely with permissions, so I right clicked on .docx which had no users, not even Administrator. I added Adminstrator as well as one user but for both I got a message from Windows Security: "Unable to change permission changes on .docx. Access is denied."

What can I do next? 

Friday, March 18, 2011 12:39 AM
  • What can I do next? If I recall do this.....right click on left pane docx Go to click on advanced ........ choose add Choose a user or add new user to list shown ..check all permissions especially full control click ok it should let you now change ..IMPORTANT: now on top of same grey screen choose owner select the new or renewed name..as owner make sure you see it in bottom panel..choose click on inherit and child ..not sure what you need..try one then the other choose Ok Ok Ok,,
    • Edited by artincanada Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:32 PM error in detail
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Wow, thanks.  I had tried everything and nothing worked for me.  This actually worked.  It was quick and easy.
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Jason U DA MAN! this did the trick for me.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Confirmed solution:

1. Delete your Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc. shortcuts from the Microsoft Office Start Menu Folder.

2. Go to your Desktop.

3. Right click and select Create Shortcut.

4. For Word navigate to a folder where Word.exe file is located. Click on it and in the shortcut window add /a at the end of the path to the executable so it looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /a

5. Click Apply,

6. Double click on the shortcut icon. Microsoft Word should open instantly.

7. Cut and paste the icon inside your Microsoft Office Start Menu Folder or pin it to your task bar.

8. Repeat steps 3 - 7 with the following paths:

Excel: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" /s

PowerPoint: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\POWERPNT.EXE" /s

Outlook: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /s

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:48 AM
  • I have tried all the suggestions.

Changing the shortcuts ONLY fixed the problem when using the shortcuts.

Double clicking a file does open the file but the config thing happens.

Others have complained about the extensions associations being broken. That was the case from me yesterday.

AND::: Outlook search does not work. I have attempted to get the indexer to work, And have repaired the pst file,...

I will uninstall AGAIN today, and do the installer cleaner,....

This is way stupid.  Should have been fixed a year ago. But as with windows 7 all the broken stuff will prolly not be fixed cuz they are all working on the next version of incompetence.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:31 PM
  • ok if you go into the registry

HKLM/Software/MIcrosoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Installer/UserData/whatever your logged on used ID is ( mine was S-1-5-18)

Click on properties  for  components and click on advanced and untick 'include inheritable permissions from this objects parents'

Then click add

Then go to owner and set it to local computer administrator group and click 'replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

Go back to permissions and manually give full permission to the objects there - creator owner is the only one it won't apply to.

Then click on replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.

This at least fixes the irritating errors with registry permissions whillst installing without having to manually find each key one at a time as setup fails.

Sadly it  does absolutely NOTHING to stop Excel configuring each time it opens.

edit:  Taken from elsewhere as an Office12 fix .... 

Browse to your Program files (x86) /common files / microsoft shared/ office14 / office setup controller and rename the 3 .exe files to .old files.

Try again :) It's not perfect but it's 2 seconds not 120!

Friday, July 8, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Thanks,

But, I am not that good at Reg fixing.

Can you step me throught the Reg Edit steps.  I found the key but do not know how to add the values you listed.

Using: Vista Business with Office 2010 Pro Plus.

Thanks

DGB

Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:07 PM
  • I had the same problem and somehow found the answer messing around!!!  I just installed Office 2010 and noticed that all of the links were in the ProgramData folder, not the Programs folder as they should be.
    Example (bad path) - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office
    Example (good path for 64bit machine) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
    I navigated to the good path, and located the application links (ex. WINWORD).  The links will have pictures next to them that look like the icons on your desktop.
    Once I found the good application files, I copied them into the bad path folder (ProgramData).  I just deleted the ones that were already in the bad path, and renamed the good links with the same name as they were.  The computer is looking at the ProgramData folder when you click the program in your Start menu.  By copying the good files into the folder, you're actually adding the correct file that should be there, not the broken link that was installed.  
    Problem solved!
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I have wasted two days on this. Every solution proposed on these pages (and a few other pages) I have tried - none have worked. There is simply no good reason for this to happen. At the very least Microsoft must have realized this was an issue and made a fix. I have bought their software, it's running on their OS, but it won't work - so Microsoft, tell me how to fix it! 

Just in summary, this is what I have tried:

• Uninstall using Revo, then reinstall (2007 and 2010)
    • Uninstall using Revo and MS Removal Tool, then reinstall (2007 and 2010)
    • An uninstall as described by Sally Tang in her post above
    • The above reinstalls with registry clean ups
    • Entering the registry key as per Masterful above
    • A non-destructive Windows 7 reinstallation
    • A system restore to before installation, then trying again

Have I missed anything? I fail to see how this can be an issue that does not have a simple solution, particularly when it appears to be so common.

Apologies for sounding so testy, but this has cost me two days work. Can anyone help me with this?

• Edited by BadSeed Friday, October 28, 2011 7:42 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:41 PM
  • You are saying that you are seeing the install/configuration screen each time you start an Office application? To prevent this from happening, try logging in as Administrator and then let the configuration complete. If that doesn’t help, there is a workaround for Word in the “Hacking the Registry” section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, October 28, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Thanks Stefan, but no luck. Several hours of uninstalling, reinstalling I'm still stuck with the same problem. I had already tried the regedit solution you mentione.

It staggers me to be honest. I never had any problems when I upgraded my Adobe software. Or when I upgrade anything else for that matter. How come I have a problem with Microsoft. They invented the OS after all. And surely I don't have to do a total reinstall of the OS just to get some software to work.

Any other suggestions? Or is this one I have to write off to Microsoft incompetence and indifference?

• Edited by BadSeed Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:56 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Thanks Stefan, but no luck. Several hours of uninstalling, reinstalling I'm still stuck with the same problem. I had already tried the regedit solution you mentione.

The only time I have seen something similar is when running multiple versions of Office on the same machine, and in that case the registry “hack” I mentioned did work. What you are describing is likely to be related to access rights, as suggested earlier. At this time, I don’t have any more suggestions, unfortunately, except creating a new user account and check if it encounters the same issue.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Question on this fix:

When I hold the start + r keys, and enter in the command, the C:\Windows\system32\reg.exe pops up and the following prompt appears;

"Value NoReReg exists, Overwrite (Yes,No)?

What do I do here???

You and those that used this fix didn't say anything about this window.  Can you please advise?

I have the same problem with all the Outlook ProPlus 2010 programs.  Tried Microsoft Office tech support and uninstalled, scrubbed, installed new .exe files, nothing seemed to work so far.  Spent several days, many hours each time with Microsoft tech support!!  Transferred to Windows tech support and back to Office tech support.  No success.  No one seems to want to take ownership of the problem.

One note that seems to follow with a common theme among the comments in this forum.  While performing all the uninstalls/installs with Office Tech Support, the User Account Control Settings were set to "Never" (lowest setting).  After restarting, each program in Office seems to run fine.  No installand configure windows pop up.  However, when I reset this to anything above the lowest setting (example:  Recommended setting) and restart, the problem returns.

Tons of AGGRIVATION and WASTED TIME!!!

There are a few fixes recommended here that seem to make sense with what I'm experiencing.  I'll let you know what works for me.

Thanks,

Stillcreek

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Hello.

I looked for the (bad path) and I don't have a ProgramData folder.  I have a Program Files folder and a Program Files (x86) folder.  Following the (good path) all the application links/files for the office programs appear to be in the (good path) Office14 folder.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Is there another folder that would represent the (bad path) and how do I know or find it???

Thanks,

Stillcreek

Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I just resolved this issue with a Microsoft tech. Shameful that they have not made this fix known on their website! I use Vista. He had me go to 'users' and turn OFF the 'User Account Control" UAC.....that annoying pop up that asks if you really want to do what you just did!

Then he told me to open a 'run' window and here are the instructions from the e-mail he later forwarded. After spending hours on this, readign this same blog and reinstalling 7 times and system restoring 3, this fix completely stopped the whole 'configuraing' disaster.

Resolutions for the windows installer prompt, when opening Office application on a Windows Vista OS. The resolution appears to be two fold, First of all you might want to add the following registry key depending on the application for which the user gets a prompt:

Click on Start Run then type and run the following command for each respective applications.

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /vNoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options /vNoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options/v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\PowerPoint\Options/v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Options/v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Publisher\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:03 PM
  • It worked! Thank you Jason!
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:42 AM
  • it worked thanks jason!

Thank You, Southern Belle

• Proposed as answer by Ordy Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ordy Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Tried the solution offered by Missirius as well as a number of the others above, when we experienced the problem today on one of our machines.

None of them resolved the issue, but rather than uninstall the office suite we ran the repair and this fixed the issue for all the components.

• Proposed as answer by ve5yan Monday, September 10, 2012 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:45 AM
  • I have the similar problem, read and tried all sort of recommendations, none of them fix the problem. According to the log, somehow you do not have the administrative right even you are logged in as administrator

I finally, fixed it for good: Created shortcuts from the "installed folder" and send to the Desktop.
    My is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\POWERPNT.EXE".  Then right click it > Properties > Shortcut >Advanced> Check "Run as administrator" >OK >OK.

Do the same routine to fix the other MS office components (Excel, WinWord, etc.); it varies with your version of MS Office Suite installed.
    The Standard has the following components:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE",
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE",
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSPUB.EXE",
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\POWERPNT.EXE",
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE",
    ."C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTE.EXE".

Since the original shortcuts created by the Office Setup.exe are behaving the same as before, you cannot simply change the shortcut to "Run as administrator", it's greyed out.

Explore to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\" ----This is my default. Delete those shortcuts that created by the Office Setup.exe, then copy those you have created previously shortcuts from the Desktop, paste into this folder. Then exit.

Enjoy it, no more reconfiguration again.

• Edited by ve5yan Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:56 AM Revision a
    Monday, September 10, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Perfect, thank you!  This fixed both 2010 *and* 2003 (not sure how with 2003?!?)  from trying to reinstall/reconfigure every time we switched!

We've actually had so many problems with word2010 (corrupting our older 2003 files, strange crashes, and all of this on win7pro) that we're just keeping the 2010 version around only until we've back-converted everything back to word 2003 (and no, MS tech support couldn't help at all and even said the corrupted files weren't word's fault)! Once we've undone all of the word2010 conversions, it's hasta la vista word 2010 and back to good ole 2003. It may not be the most up-to-date word processor, but it's faster and works better than 2010, which is apparently complete garbage.

Best wishes to those who made the switch, we're going back. Might have to move to another word processor to get something more current.  WordPerfect, anyone?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:06 PM
  • I just downloaded Office 2010 and am having the same problem when I open a Word or Excel file. Has anyone been able to resolve this...without being a software engineer!
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Dear Patrick Dorrian

I need help! I tried to modify the registry as per your suggestion (from include inheritable permissions from this objects parents onwards) but I probably make some mistakes.

I am now in big trouble. MY FAULT! I forgot to back-up the registry and now I am not able any longer to install programs (getting internal error 2908). I tried to restore the keys to the original settings but I am probably missing something.

I have already tried some suggestions found via google (launched VISTA repair, reinstalled windows installer, etc) without success. Before I reinstall VISTA from scratch do you have any suggestion? I have tried to apply to S-1-5-18 the same settings of another similar key (S-1-5-21-1239804130-2773217081-2466545258-1000) without success. As I said I get internal error 2908 for all the 32-digits subkeys in sequence...

Hope you can save my life...!

Roby

• Edited by Roby58 Monday, December 3, 2012 4:01 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 2:49 PM
  • I just wanted to share my experiences with you guys, since ive had this problem for a really long time, and finally fixed it. i have been struggeling with this problem for almost 16 hours straight, and gave up. yet i tried today, a year later and finally it works.

I have tried different stuf, and i think the root to the problem, was that i moved some files to a different folder on my drive. Anyways, heres what i did.

no matter what i did, it kept coming up with the config.

i tried to place to program at a different drive - still the same.

reinstalled mutiple times - still the same.

did many of the options in here, including jasons fix, and many others.

All of this resulted in the same, the config kept showing up on startup.

i then ran the 2nd option from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 - surprisingly it worked flawlessly. i uninstalled word using control panel. rebooted. uninstalled spelling corrector (not sure exact name), then reboot. Ran the program recommended in option 2. rebooted. then installed resulting in flawless startup. Hope this helps. Best regards Guk

Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Brilliant !

Worked 1st time.

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:07 AM
  • I started having this problem in the past week after doing a Windows update that included Office or possibly Word update.  I only installed Office 2010 programs.

I tried Sally Tang's safe mode and add-ons which did not solve the problem.

Using the registry command did fix my problem.

Thank you.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:46 PM
  • We had similar issues after installing the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable on a system with a 32-bit MS Office version installed.  The reason was that the installation of 64-bit redistributable creates an "mso.dll" value in the 64-bit registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\FilesPaths", pointing to the path of the 64-bit version of the MSO.DLL.  
    When starting a 32-bit MS Office application the path of the MSO.DLL file will first be read from the above key, which points to the wrong 64-bit version of MSO.DLL.  
    Renaming or deleting the "mso.dll" registry value will cause the 32-bit MS Office application to look for the correct MSO.DDL path in the 32-bit registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\FilesPaths", and resolves our "reconfiguring" MS Office issue.

• Proposed as answer by Tier1net Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:26 PM
  • I was able to use this to fix Word, but it won't fix Excel. Any suggestions??
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:34 PM
  • This saved me hours of troubleshooting with this. Thanks!
    • Edited by Tier1net Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:59 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Hello

Its interesting that this problem has been around for several years without being properly resolved. Im sure that if it were more straightforward to communicate directly with Microsoft techies, they would be more able to do so.  My daughter has put up with this installer problem on Office Home and Student 2007 for about 4 years. I spent some time looking at it, trying the recommended uninstall in various ways followed by a reinstall on her Dell computer running Vista.

None of this worked - but by chance (today) I tried launching Office after the install, instead of first adding the Office updates recommended by Windows Update. To my surprise I could launch an Office application or double click a document without being bothered by the Installer/Configuration wizard! I hadn't tried this before, as our original disk is 4 years old and I assumed that the updates would be essential. 

From this I have been able to conclude that our system is being compromised by these updates (the primary one being SP3). If I can get to talk to someone at Microsoft without being brushed aside, Ill pass this on, as Ive no doubt that its affecting other people as well.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:07 PM
  • i tried all your suggestions but the problem still exists....now i have same problem on any Encarta programs i open pls help, what should i do?
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:10 AM
  • we have same problem....
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Or you can also go this way to solve this problem

Go to Control Panel- then Programs and Features Select Microsoft Office 2010 and click change.

Find Outlook and right click to expand the listing- Click on All Components to run from the computer. Let it reconfigure close outlook and reopen it-Done!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:11 PM
  • If you don't want to do the registry hack do this instead

Go to Control Panel- then Programs and Features Select Microsoft Office 2010 and click change.

Find Outlook (Or what ever office app your having probs with) and right click to expand the listing- Click on All Components to run from the computer. Let it reconfigure close office app (Outlook, Excel etc) and reopen it-Done!

<input id="8d84ffde-a3bb-474e-8537-fb41cb737dbf_attachments" type="hidden" />

• Edited by Brewshoe Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:27 PM
    • Proposed as answer by neuromandw Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:25 PM
  • I tried running a repair, no luck.

I tried Jason's reg trick, viola! it works now.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Thanks....Like a charm
    • Proposed as answer by AussieBobM Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AussieBobM Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:14 AM
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:53 AM
  • The simple answer to this problem is to ignore all the proposed fixes and to go directly to:

http:// support.microsoft.com/kb/2528748  (remove the extra space before "support" to make this link work - the forum won't let me post the link directly).

If you use the tool there it fixes the problem for you without any need for manually editing the registry, uninstalling or reinstalling the programs.  If you don't want Microsoft to automatically fix the problem, there are step by step manual instructions provided.  What a pity that so many people have been inconvenienced for so long with this problem while Microsoft has a fix that it apparently doesn't tell its support staff about.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:24 AM
  • Here is something I notice.  if I right click on Word 2010 and select run as administrator it starts immediately.  If I run the same with the account i'm logged on with, which is in the administrator group, it goes through the configuration and annoying re-install.

What does this mean?

bill westman

The real issue here is that the repeated configuration ONLY OCCURS when Office Programs are NOT 'run as an ADMINISTRATOR!!!'
    By simply going to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013, (or whatever version of Office we have) we can 'Right Click' on each of the ShortCuts in turn, Select Properties> Compatability>and Tick 'Run this Program as an Administrator'

Problem Solved!

• Edited by 1nd1g0 Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:16 AM
    • Proposed as answer by 1nd1g0 Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:17 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:13 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me. Thank you very much.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:21 PM
  • ^^^That's what my laptop is doing. If I try to open a document with Word, or a worksheet for Excel, it the program installation starts up like it's reinstalling word or excel.. and powerpoint.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:36 AM
  • Same situation here. I did several of the suggestions here. Now, I have Word, PowerPoint, Publisher and PowerPoint opening correctly (so far). But, why would Excel, Outlook and Access continue to do the whole config/install thing?!? This is getting very frustrating. Did the MS FixIt suggestions and the reg edits, as well as the right click on the icons and changing the properties to admin. Like I said, only the ones listed open correctly now. The others continue to act like they need to be reinstalled! Is there ANY real solution to this? Please....
    Monday, May 12, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Nothing worked, and I mean nothing until I tried this!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Hi. I was faced with similar problem. Visio 2010 (32bit) on Win 7 (64bit) configures again and again. Solution was simple, look at Microsoft KB  2685120

Original registry entry

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vsd]
    @="vsd_auto_file"

replace by

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vsd]
    @="Visio.Drawing.11"

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:07 PM
  • With Office 2010 and Visual Studio 2013 I ran into the same problems for Excel (about six seconds) and Word (about 1 minute).  I applied the cmdline registry fix, ran the MS fixit, ran the apps as Administrator, reran the various runtimes, reinstalled VS 2013, etc.  Nothing worked.  Then I tried just reconfiguring Office 2010, made no changes, pressed continue, and all fixed!  Thanks much!
    • Edited by neuromandw Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Bingo thanks Jason
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Also works for Word in Office 2007; replace the "14.0" with "12.0".

Oddly, the equivalent thing hasn't fixed the same problem with Excel in my wife's Office 2007 installation. The forums either suggest other rather obscure registry permission tweaks, which also haven't helped. Or a complete uninstall / delete everything / reinstall cycle.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 2:50 PM
  • Which button is the ''start'' key???

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:49 PM