none
Retention policy sub folders RRS feed

• Question

• Under my default inbox folder (which retention policy cannot be changed by the user) i have created several first level folders.  under those folders i have created  2nd levelsub-folders.  when i apply a retention policy to the first level subfolder does it carry to the 2nd level sub-folder or must i manually set the retention policy to that folder as well?
    • Moved by Steve FanModerator Monday, March 26, 2018 2:37 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of Exchange do you use? 

Yes, retention policy will be automatically inherited down to all subitems and subfolders. If you don't want the subfolders to be inherited by the retention policy, you can try to create a personal tag with retention disabled and apply it to the subfolders.

See this blog article for more details: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/vikass_blog/2013/12/03/can-i-block-subfolders-from-being-processed-by-retention-tags/

Since this forum focuses more on questions and feedback related to Microsoft Office desktop applications, if you would like further assistance on this issue, I'd recommend you post a new question to the dedicated Exchange forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

Thank you for the understanding and support.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 26, 2018 2:37 AM
  • Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 2, 2018 9:08 AM