none
Excel does not launch from Crystal Reports 8.5 export if it is a large export

Question

• I am working with office 2007. We use crystal reports 8.5 to export data to excel using the excel 8.0 extendend format option in crystal. It works as normal with a warning that you may have not received all of your data, but you always do get all of the data. The problem we find is that if we try to export a large file, somewhere around 36,000 records excel does not launch. No errors or warnings, excel just does not open. I tested with queries and 36,555 records is fine, I can export them and excel opens as it should. The query adding the next day of data moves it to 36,703 records and excel will not launch.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Shane is right on regarding this as a limitation or issue with Crystal Reports.  Crystal Reports is making calls and automating Excel.  You can check Task Manager to see if the Excel application is launched after the export process in Crystal Reports.  If it isn't then Crystal isn't successfully launching the Excel application and you can try opening up Excel and then running the Export from Crystal.  If it is opening the Excel application but not dumping the data you might want to check with Crystal support.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Chad Mathiason
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:02 PM

All replies

• That is most likely a Crystal limitation.  I would see if they have an online answer forum. 

As a really cludgy workaround you could run two queries in Crystal, one extracting the first 36000 records and the next one the remaining records and then manually combine them.

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion, which is what the accountant that uses these queries is doing at the moment so she can analyze revenue. She is certain she has run theses queries in the past as it is a download of general ledger data into excel, and when comparing year to year data the request will always exceed 36,000 records. She is not sure when she did it last successfully. I looked at the Crystal site and did not find any discussion of limitations. I did find a service pack that I applied to a test machine and it did not resolve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion Shane
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Hello,

Shane is right on regarding this as a limitation or issue with Crystal Reports.  Crystal Reports is making calls and automating Excel.  You can check Task Manager to see if the Excel application is launched after the export process in Crystal Reports.  If it isn't then Crystal isn't successfully launching the Excel application and you can try opening up Excel and then running the Export from Crystal.  If it is opening the Excel application but not dumping the data you might want to check with Crystal support.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Chad Mathiason
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:02 PM