none
The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started. RRS feed

• Question

• We have 6 server in DAG ( 4 in main site and two in DR site). For planned maintenance, I have put the DR server in maintenance mode and rebooted them.   

However, now both DR servers are showing down in cluster when I check from main-site ( Get-ClusterNode). 

If I run the command ( Get-ClusterNode) on DR server itself it gives the error " The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started."

I have checked the network of DAG and DR network is showing ( Get-ClusterNetwork). I am able to ping and telnet the network. Databases are replicating fine. 

I am not sure the server in cluster is showing down and on server itself why its giving an error that 

"The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started."

• Edited by Asif-Janjua Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:48 PM
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the connection and setting for that adapter shows as Cluster Network 2. If it is a virtual adapter, check your virtual network settings

You can fix the issue manually after the network issues are resolved by restarting Replication service and Suspend/Resume the copies in DR

Regards From: Exchange Online | World of Cloud Computing

Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:08 PM
  • Hello,

Following cmdlet can help to understand, if there are any mis configurations in Network

get-databaseavailabilitygroupnetwork | fl

Check 'value of 'Subnets' and see if that is correctly configured

Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:11 PM
  • Hi, 

I am using the single NIC for replication and MAP. The databases are replicating fine. The issue is that two DR servers are showing down when I ran a command ( Get-ClusterNode) from main-site. 

If I run the same command ( Get-ClusterNode) from DR Server itself then its gives me error " The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started.""

Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Hi, 

The Network of DR servers ( Faulty Servers) is showing as unavailable. Whereas I am able to ping and telnet the servers. I am not sure why its showing as unavailable.  You may check the details in attached screenshot. 

Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Hello,

Mostly a network issue. Did you see any issues in Application Logs ins server? Have you got a chance to check the DNS and see if the IP assigned to DAG is correct? Is there any chance to assign a different IP to DAG (In failover cluster manager) and restart?

Saturday, July 13, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Hi Manu, 

Please see my answers below against your each query. 

Did you see any issues in Application Logs ins server?

1. Cluster node  failed to join the cluster. A UDP connection could not be established to node(s) 'sahaba-he01'. Verify network connectivity and configuration of any network firewalls

2.  GetClusterKey failed with 0x46. Error: The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started").
    3. Active manager configuration change detected. (PreviousRole='Unknown', CurrentRole='Unknown', ChangeFlags='LastError', LastError='Unable to access cluster root key (Error: An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API failed: "OpenCluster(null) failed with 0x6d9. Error: There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper")')
    4. Cluster batch writer failed while attempting operation 'GetClusterKey' (error: An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API failed: "GetClusterKey failed with 0x46. Error: The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started").

Have you got a chance to check the DNS and see if the IP assigned to DAG is correct?

This is Exchange 2016 IPLess DAG. 

Saturday, July 13, 2019 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

As you specified in first point, it indicates some network issues. Check Network/Firewall/Antivirus ext. which blocks the required ports for the cluster

Saturday, July 13, 2019 3:44 PM
  • I have found that UDP cluster port 3343 is not listing on any Exchange server. Even I have tried with localhost 127.0.0.1 and still PortQuery giving me that UDP port is not listing. 

The cluster service is running and still port is not responding. I am not sure what I am missing. 

Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Looks like Firewall or Antivirus is preventing this. Is there any chance to disable firewall/antivirus and to test it

Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:46 AM
  • The firewall is disabled on all the Exchange nodes. There is no antivirus on any Exchange machine. I have disabled the Windows Defender as well. 

But still having the same issue.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:47 AM
  • Hi,

You can fix the issue manually after the network issues are resolved by restarting Replication service and Suspend/Resume the copies in DR

Have you followed the above steps too?

Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:57 AM
  • Yes i have restarted the replication service. The Database copies are replicating fine on DR. 

The issue is only with cluster. In cluster the Node is down from primary site. From DR, its giving me an error while running the command Get-ClusterNode. 

The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

Time to check some cluster issues

Get-ClusterNode

If you see some nodes are down in cluster, use the following command to take it up

Resume-ClusterNode node1

Sunday, July 14, 2019 1:43 PM
  • If cluster is down, how i can resume it? Please note that Node in cluster is not showing as paused. 

I have found very weird thing that the DR server is trying to make an connection IPV6 of loop back interface 

cxl::ConnectWorker::operator (): (1460)' because of '[FTI][Follower] Aborting connection because NetFT route to (169.254.6.180) node on virtual IP fe80::74a6:2f16:1ea6:2cc5:~3343~ has failed to come up.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:01 AM
  • One of Exchange server is showing down in cluster. I have checked the logs and found weird thing that server is trying to connect with other node on IPV6 of loop back interface ((169.254.6.180))

I have found very weird thing that the DR server is trying to make an connection IPV6 of loop back interface 

cxl::ConnectWorker::operator (): (1460)' because of '[FTI][Follower] Aborting connection because NetFT route to (169.254.6.180) node on virtual IP fe80::74a6:2f16:1ea6:2cc5:~3343~ has failed to come up.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

When the DR site servers in maintenance mode, it might return the pause error. Please turn off the maintenance mode, then check if the error occurs again.

It's also suggested that trying the method in the link below, observe the result.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/822050/cluster-service-stops-responding-on-a-cluster-node-when-you-restart-th

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Dear Kelvin, 

The above article provided by you does not apply in my case. I have 6 nodes cluster ( 4 in main site and 2 in DR site). 

I have paused the two DR cluster nodes and then reboot them. Once the servers are online again then I start receiving the above mentioned errors. 

I have run the cluster validation report and found that one DR server is able to connect with all other server on cluster UDP port 3343 except on Primary site. 

This is very strange that why its not able to communicate with one other only in primary site. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

With my research, it is more related to cluster network issue, which needs capture packets to see cluster traffic, or analyze cluster logs. Since our rescource is limitted, I suggest you post it on the forum about cluster. Or open a ticket.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=winserverClustering

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection?OSMCSignIn=true&wa=wsignin1.0

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:27 AM
  • Hi ,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:08 AM