none
How to create a connection to a excel workbook and go thru the worksheets grab their names and put them on rectangles in a visio drawing? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to connect to excel but using the data wizard don't work for me. I need to import the names of each worksheet in the excel workbook and then automatically create a rectangle in visio for each worksheet and then using the .text property for the shape assign each rectangle the worksheet name automatically using the vsoShape text property. Later I will have to import more data from the worksheets but if I have a recordset already I should be able to figure it out. Thanks

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, there is no build-in feature in Visio to do this. I know that we can follow the methods in the article to import data to shapes in your drawing.

As a workaround, we can insert all worksheet names in cells as a table in Excel. Then, import these name in Visio or create diagram from the data.

To list all worksheet names in Excel, you can use with formulas or VBA. For example, we can refer to this thread to create a List of Worksheet Names.

Hope it helps. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, July 5, 2019 1:19 AM