none
Office 2010 on Windows XP SP3

Question

• I am using the perinstallation package for Office 2010 and when I start Office 2010 (the Out Of the Box program), I get an error telling me that the GetThreadUiLanguage is not found in the dynamic Kernel32.dll

It is a new XP SP3, no other Office have been installed. Office 2010 is supposed to be supported on XP SP3, what am I doing wrong? What do I need to install to fix the issue?

Thanks,

Francois

fg13a
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

• It looks like your issue may be a know issue thats by design on WinXP machines. Is this the error you are getting? “The procedure entry point GetThreadUILanguage could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll”

Take a look at the link http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/downloads/Pages/office_2010_opk.aspx and under Technical Documents > Technical FAQ section click on the Download the Technical FAQ.pdf

Once you get that open look at number 8.....

8. Why I cannot run the Office 2010 OPK installation on PC running Windows XP?
    Answer: This is by design. The Office 2010 OPK only supports Windows Vista SP1 and Windows 7 RTM and above.

So the answer is you will not be able to use the Office 2010 OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) on WinXP machines.

-Doakm[MSFT]

• Marked as answer by fg13a Friday, August 26, 2011 2:03 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Francois,

Could you give us the exactly error message so we can look into it?

Also you can use the Event Viewer to check the event log to get more clue.

For detail about how to check the event log:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

And make sure you are not using the 64-bit version Windows XP.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Max, thanks for helping me.

I cannot give you the exact wording, as I am translating from French, sorry.

It is MSOO.EXE that is opeining a pop up windows saying: entry point missing. the Enttry point for GetThreadUILangage cannot be found in the dynamic library KERNEL32.dll

I have also retrive, as suggested, a log: it is an ifnormative log (not an error) saying that the popup MSOO.EXE cannot find... ID=26

It is a brand new XP SP3 32bit, redone from scratch. I have done all possible update (more than 100). And I have also installed MSXML6_x86.msi and .NET 4 with all updates.

Thanks for your help, regards,

Francois.

fg13a
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Well, I found a similar thread, with lots of suggestions there.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/80c8b12c-7cac-4089-a380-5b008a227e5a/

One of them is to copy the gdi32.dll file from c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll to c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll. (Do keep a backup copy of the old gdi32.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)

Reboot your computer.

Hope these wil help.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Max,

Sorry, I was out of town... and could not check this before today.

I changed, as told, the gdi32.dll file going from version 5.1.2600.5698 to 5512. This is going to a previous version fo this file. It did not solve my problem, I still have the same message, and Office2010 préinstalled refuse to start.

Microsoft update has a new update, now, related to 'Vulnerabiliies in GDI could ...' KB956802.

I believe it is trying to change it back !

I used a OEM XP Pro CD to start the recovery console and did as told:

1. boot from a Windows CD and go for the repair option.

2. Copy gdi32.dll from c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll to c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll. (Do keep a backup copy of the old gdi32.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)

3. Reboot normally

Therest of the thread was more related to BSOD after SP3 installation. I had no issue with the install of SP3 on this system. And I have not used sysprep to install this system.

Let me know if you have other ideas. It is supposed to work. Why is it not on my system?

Thanks,

Francois

fg13a
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:14 PM
  • is the system installed with a language other than English? (Windows and also the Office you are tryig to install?)
    Don
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Don,

Yes, everything is in French, the system nand the pre-installed kit.

Anyhints?

Thanks anyway, Francois

fg13a
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:27 AM
  • It looks like your issue may be a know issue thats by design on WinXP machines. Is this the error you are getting? “The procedure entry point GetThreadUILanguage could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll”

Take a look at the link http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/downloads/Pages/office_2010_opk.aspx and under Technical Documents > Technical FAQ section click on the Download the Technical FAQ.pdf

Once you get that open look at number 8.....

8. Why I cannot run the Office 2010 OPK installation on PC running Windows XP?
    Answer: This is by design. The Office 2010 OPK only supports Windows Vista SP1 and Windows 7 RTM and above.

So the answer is you will not be able to use the Office 2010 OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) on WinXP machines.

-Doakm[MSFT]

• Marked as answer by fg13a Friday, August 26, 2011 2:03 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Doakm,  Thanks!

This is exactly the message I am getting! I apology for not looking into this document more closely. As Office 2010 is supported on Win XP SP3, I didn't realized that the preinstall/OPK will not work. So I guess, I should be using the CD to make it work.

Thanks again for locking into my problem.

fg13a
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:03 PM