none
Exchange 2016 in DR site RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am working for Microsoft Partner as UC Engineer and i am working on a project for one of our customers. 

Current Setup

two mailboxes Exchange 2016. Databases using DAG for high availability. customer have SMTP gateway (Edge not deployed).

Scope of Work

Customer have Disaster recover site (with different network subnet) and wants to implement one exchange server 2016 and configured for site resilience.

I have reviewed this article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/high-availability/high-availability?view=exchserver-2016

i understand that i have to enable DAC mode but steps in sequence still not clear to me.

After adding Exchange server in DR site to DAG and replicate database, what are the steps needed in sequence?

Regards,

Sunday, April 21, 2019 7:49 AM

All replies

• It really depends on what it is you're trying to achieve with the Exchange server in the DR site.

If you're just deploying one server there, you won't have automatic site resilience.  That is, if you lose the primary site, Exchange won't fail over to the remote site; you'll have to manually activate the DR site.

Enabling DAC mode isn't completely necessary but very much recommended.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, April 21, 2019 2:20 PM
  • Hi Khaled,

When you build one Exchange server on DR site, it needs to have sufficient capacity to host the combined user population of both sites. You could add the server in the DAG. As the DAG is extended across two datacenters in a site resilience configuration.

When the primary site fails due to disaster on the odd nodes due to power Outage,follow the steps of the "Datacenter SwitchOver" chapter in the link below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23333.exchange-2013-dag-datacenter-failover-and-disaster-recovery.aspx

For more details about Exchange DR site design, see:

Planning for site resilience

Example deployment: four-member DAG in two datacenters

Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 22, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Many thanks Kelvin and Ed for your help. i have started the project and i will update you for the results.

Currently i have an issue: after installed Exchange 2016 in DR site and adding to DAG, i tried to add database copy for one of the existing databases in main site but it fail and give me below error.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:01 AM
  • That probably means you have a firewall between the two sites that's blocking some port required for everything to work.  It isn't supported to block any ports between two Exchange servers.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Hi Khaled,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,
    Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 29, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Thanks all for your useful support and help.

i started to work on the project and i will update you.

Now i am experiencing an issue: after installing Exchange 2016 in DR site, we found that ECP not working from any member machine on the network and ECP works only from inside exchange servers. the issue that ECP page open but when enter the credentials, it fails to open the ECP page.

there are two Exchange servers in main site using round robin in DNS. so i found two A records "mail" each record points to one of exchange servers. i tried to add 3rd A record "mail" and points to new Exchange in DR site but couldn't resolve the issue.

Noting that i configured virtual directories and certificate on the new exchange server to match the existing exchange servers.

any thoughts?

Monday, April 29, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Can you check member machine using IP address on all exchange server one by one and confirm.

I hope this issue not belongs to introduced DR Exchange server.

I recommend to delete host record for DR Exchange server which is created.

Thanks & Regards, Kumar N

Monday, April 29, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Thank you all for your replies.

customer is checking ports rules on the firewall and i am waiting his update.

Regards,

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:17 AM
  • Hi Khaled,

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,
    Kelvin Deng

Friday, May 3, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Here is the status:

the same issue still exist. as per this article https://enterpriseit.co/microsoft-exchange/2013/dag-add-database-copy-rpc-unavailable-0x800706ba/ , i tried to check RPC ports 6001-6032 by telnet from EX in Main site to EX in DR site and it wasn't open.

Also i tried to run the command mentioned in article https://enterpriseit.co/windows-server/rpc-server-unavailable-0x800706ba/ and the result was RPC unavailable from EX in main site to EX in DR site. When tried to run the command between two EX server in main site, i found it works.

I informed the network team and they will check. I will update you accordingly.

Regards,

Sunday, May 5, 2019 8:13 AM
  • network team have fixed connectivity with RPC and now command mentioned in article https://enterpriseit.co/windows-server/rpc-server-unavailable-0x800706ba/ is working between EX main site and EX DR.

The issue now that when adding Exchange server in DR site to DAG, mail flow steps "send& receive internal and external" and when remove this EX DR from DAG, mail flow works normally. So, i will not be able to add database copy until this issue resolved as its badly affects the production users.

any thoughts?

Sunday, May 5, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi Khaled,

What you mean "when adding Exchange server in DR site to DAG, mail flow steps ‘send& receive internal and external'" Could your provide more detailed information?

After adding the Exchange server in DR site to DAG, you could run the following cmdlet to confirm the mailbox database status.

Get-MailboxDatabase -Status  | select name, mounted

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi Khaled,

Regards,
    Kelvin Deng

Monday, May 13, 2019 12:14 PM
  • Sorry Kelvin for late reply due to work pressure.

what i mean is when add Exchange server in DR to DAG, all sent emails stuck in the queue even internal sent items (in the same organization). same for outgoing emails.

Currently customer is busy with other tasks and i will check i again once i back to the site and update you with more details.

Regards,

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Do you try above methods?

If there is anything unclear or any update, please feel free to let us know. If the reply helps, kindly mark it as answer, which will be beneficial for answer searching in the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards, 

Kelvin Deng

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:15 AM