none
remote file access with sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm very new to sharepoint and I would like to understand a few things about remote file access and document libraries.

1. Is there a way to access a document library that was created through sharepoint on a local network by mapping it as a network drive?

2. Is there a way to access an NTFS share (like a public network share from a file server) through sharepoint?

Thanks,

Tamir Doron
    Melbourne Australia
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:35 AM Title reduced to problem description only
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:15 AM

Answers

• Based on my research, we can map a document library as a network drive via steps below:

1. Go to the library you wish to link and choose Actions -> Open in Windows Explorer you will see something like a network share path (ie. \\sharepoint\sites\teamsite\documents).

2. Copy this to the clipboard and then open My Computer. Choose Tools -> Map Network Drive. Select the drive letter you wish to use and then paste the path copied earlier. Choose the other options depending on your personal preferences or need. Click OK and you will now have a mapped drive to a document library.

Regarding the second question, we cannot access a public network share from a file server in Sharepoint directly.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:08 AM
  • When mapping to a SharePoint driver Windows will try to connect using one of two methods.  It's a little deep but this white paper explains what is going on beneath the hood:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C523AC7A-5724-48BE-B973-641E805588F4&displaylang=en

As far as access a share drive.  The simple answer is No.  You could setup MOSS to index a shared drive so when you search for something in SharePoint it could give you a link to the network share, but that doesn't help remote users unless they use a VPN or similar technology to connect to your internal network. 

Why not move the file share into Document Libraries in SharePoint?  Then any SharePoint user could access the documents.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 12:54 PM

All replies

• Based on my research, we can map a document library as a network drive via steps below:

1. Go to the library you wish to link and choose Actions -> Open in Windows Explorer you will see something like a network share path (ie. \\sharepoint\sites\teamsite\documents).

2. Copy this to the clipboard and then open My Computer. Choose Tools -> Map Network Drive. Select the drive letter you wish to use and then paste the path copied earlier. Choose the other options depending on your personal preferences or need. Click OK and you will now have a mapped drive to a document library.

Regarding the second question, we cannot access a public network share from a file server in Sharepoint directly.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Thanks Edward-Yuan, that helps to more understand how it works. I'm still however confused as to the second question. I have clients with a current ntfs share on a file server that they want to be able to access remotely via sharepoint but I just don't know how to make it accessible. The only way I can think of is to upload the entire thing into a sharepoint document library but I'm not sure that's the best way to do it.
    any ideas anyone? Would there be a different solution for this type of scenario with Sharepoint Server as opposed to Sharepoint Services or would it be the same solution either way?
    Thanks,
    Tamir
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:03 PM
  • oh and by the way, I just tried what you suggested and the path I'm getting in my windows explorer windows is: https://sharepoint.domainname.com.au:987/Shared%20Documents/Forms. It's not looking like a network path like yours.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Based on my research, you had to upload the entire thing to a sharepoint document library. Additionally the link difference may be caused because you access a folder named forms under documents libarary. If you would like to map this folder as  network drive, you can use this link. If you would like to map the whole  documents libarary  , delete “/Forms”.

Friday, September 4, 2009 3:28 AM
  • When mapping to a SharePoint driver Windows will try to connect using one of two methods.  It's a little deep but this white paper explains what is going on beneath the hood:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C523AC7A-5724-48BE-B973-641E805588F4&displaylang=en

As far as access a share drive.  The simple answer is No.  You could setup MOSS to index a shared drive so when you search for something in SharePoint it could give you a link to the network share, but that doesn't help remote users unless they use a VPN or similar technology to connect to your internal network. 

Why not move the file share into Document Libraries in SharePoint?  Then any SharePoint user could access the documents.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 12:54 PM