DR Environment

MBX3

CAS3

DAg configured in DAC mode as DAG only

All Database copies were healthy

We activated the DB copies on Dr site 

Shifted the Client Traffic to DR 

All above was working

Now from windows cluster when i make DR DAG ip online M mail flow stops , infact internal mail doesnt work

I just want to confirm , will mailk flow work in above scenario or I have to follow proper DR switch over prcess like

Stop cluster Service

STOP DAG

restore DAG 

Regards,

Gagandeep Singh 

Monday, July 15, 2019 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Gagandeep Singh,

If you want to test your DR site, you should use proper procedures to perform the datacenter switchovers. This document may help you test DR site: Datacenter Switchovers

Additionally, it seems that you have a DAG with 3 members. 2 nodes must be up to get quorum, and you should configure the alternate witness server in DR site for datacenter switchover.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hello.

Please use article for check and confirm DR for your architecture.

High availability and site resilience Exchange 2013

Switchovers and Failovers Exchange 2013

Perform a Server Switchover Exchange 2013

Exchange 2013 DAG: Datacenter Failover and Disaster Recovery

If your Exchange infrastructure very critical for your business. I recommend open ticket on Microsoft Support for validate your Exchange architecture on Microsoft Architecture Validate Program.  

PS. Test Exchange DR it's ~600 pages testing procedure.   

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Hi Gagandeep Singh,

If you want to test your DR site, you should use proper procedures to perform the datacenter switchovers. This document may help you test DR site: Datacenter Switchovers

Additionally, it seems that you have a DAG with 3 members. 2 nodes must be up to get quorum, and you should configure the alternate witness server in DR site for datacenter switchover.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi Oleg, 

I am creating a Runbook for DR Drill . <o:p></o:p>

My design is as below <o:p></o:p>

1. Main Site 2 xCAS and 2 x Mail Box  ( Witness share is configured on One of the CAS)<o:p></o:p>

2 DR Site(B)  1 X CAS and 2 X Mailbox ( Alternate FWS will be configured on DR Domain Controller) <o:p></o:p>

LTM and GTM will take care of Routing the CAS Traffic for Drill or if the main Site is down <o:p></o:p>

I have the below three Scenario to test <o:p></o:p>

1. Both CAS are Down at main Site ( One by One) <o:p></o:p>

2. Both Mail Boxes are down at Main Site  ( One by One) <o:p></o:p>

3. Both CAS and Mail Boxes are down at the Main site . ( One by One) <o:p></o:p>

Please Note we do not have any third site and have to manage within these two sites to test the above scenario. However I have the flexibility to test/bring down the servers one by one which ever order which has least impact <o:p></o:p>

Appreciate if you could provide the Fail over and fail back steps for the above Three scenario for me to start the drill .

I know only in the last scenarios I would use the data center switch over  and Hope for the first two it should be simpler, as at any point of time, either of the CAS will be UP or the other Mailbox nodes will be up. 

<o:p>Thanks in advance </o:p>

iahmed123

Saturday, July 20, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Please do not start two threads on the same subject. 
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:02 PM
  • Hi Gagandeep Singh,

Is there any update on this thread?

Does the provided document help you perform the datacenter switchovers? If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:52 AM