none
Outlook XLSM file and message being deleted as soon as outlook send/receive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys, a weird question: i got an outlook set up as a pop client, against mail server.  If XLSM file is sent as an attachment to the user and they look at there mail with a web browser the attachment is there.  As soon as they open outlook the email message is deleted.

Windows defender is the only virus app. I have tried completely disabling it, as well as adding in .xlsm to the exclude.

Someone please could help me?

Thanks

Andre J.

• Edited by TI.Longa Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:09 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Andre J.,

What's the detailed version of Outlook client? You can check this via File > Office Account > About Outlook.

Does it occur to all .xlsm file? Specific clients?

When testing on my side on Outlook 365 version 1908 (Build 11929.20114) and Outlook 2016 MSO (16.1.4849.1000), test.xlsm file displays correctly.

If you are using a previous version, please first upgrade Office and then test the results.

We can also try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third-party add-ins:

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:32 AM
  • Hi Andre J.

If you have more concern on this issue, please feel free to post back. We are willing to help.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Hello, office 2013 Home & Business and the version 15.0.5163.1000 (fully updated).

But that is not the issue, because i tried another computer to test with fresh office 2013 h&b without updated and updated, both cases the file was received successfully.

Its happening in some clients, mainly ts clients, and around 5 desktop clients and with different office versions 2013, 2016 too.

They receive the email with .xlsm attached. If they dont open outlook, the file and attachments stay ok on web-mail. But if outlook is opened and click send/receive, you see on status outlook DOWNLOADING the attachments, then suddenly they vanish from outlook inbox, and you go to the webmail and they vanised there too (ps: outlook is configured to dont remove emails on email server).

its REALLY WEIRD.

I dont know what to do anymore, as the email service said its not webmail related, as its happening (only and only) when outlook is oppened.

I tried to uninstall antivirus, firewall and windows defender, no way to correct this, keeps vanishing.

More ideas? thank you

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

>> Its happening in some clients, mainly ts clients, and around 5 desktop clients and with different office versions 2013, 2016 too.

What do you mean by "ts client"?

As this occurs to both Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016, I’m wondering if some aspects in these computer environments were related.

Because it also doesn’t happen on new fresh devices, you can compare if there are any difference between them. For example, group policy, software.

Have you tried safe mode on problematic clients?

In case this issue was caused by software conflicts, please try performing a clean boot in Windows to check the result.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Just check how is everything going on with this issue.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hello, sorry for the delay

The problem now got worse, i was thinking that the cause was outlook version but it isnt.

In this terminal services environment, 70% of the users receive the .xlsm attachment normally, and other 30% of the users dont.

The same o.s, the same antivirus, the same outlook version

how can it be?? someone know any kind of trick on outlook configuration that could help me out? so weird

Thank you guys.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 11:26 AM
  • just to clarify, the same policy too
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 11:26 AM