none
Unlocking the frame on a slide RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying the resize the frame pictured in the attached slide, to reduce the width to the size of the slide. You can see that the Intermediary column stretches too far to the right.

Does anyone know which Shape Sheet settings I need to change?

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Keith, in Visio 2016 the furthest right swim lane cannot be resized by dragging the outer frame line, you have to use the part of the frame just to the right of "Intermediary". However, there is a formula controlling the swimlane width and is set to a minimum value and cannot be reduced in size due to the shapes that are in that swimlane.

A way around this is Page Setup -> Page Size

and tick "Let Visio exapnd the page as needed"

On the other hand it doesn't actually matter if the shapes go outside the page area.

Paul Herber, Engineering and software shapes for Visio
    Paul Herber

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Hi Keith.I suspect what has happened is that parts of the frame for the Cross-functional framework have been deleted or corrupted and it has stopped working correctly.

Regarding how to prevent this in the future: difficult to say without knowing every exact operation that had been done on the file.
    One thing I can say though is that almost any attempt to change the format of the framework (i.e. deleting parts of it) will almost inevitably result in tears! The Cross-functional flowchart software builtin to Visio expects certain shapes to be in relation to each other. If they are not then it can't cope. This is not unreasonable.
    HTH.

Paul Herber

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:45 PM
  • Hi Paul,

That 'you have to use the part of the frame just to the right of "Intermediary"' comment solved my problem. I reduced the size of a shape in the rightmost column, and then I was able to use that tip to shrink the width of such column to match the page width.

Also, I need the diagram to fit onto an A4 sheet.

So, problem solved, without the need to delve into formulae. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Do you mean you inserted a picture in Visio diagram but was unable to resize it?

If that it the case, please try the following steps in Visio application:

1. Go to File > Options > Customize Ribbon.
    2. Make sure Developer tab is selected to display in Main Tabs list. Click OK to save setting.
    3. In the drawing page, select this picture shape, go to Developer tab, in Shape Design group, click Protection.
    4. Under Protect list, un-select the box to unlock the size or position settings for example Width and Height.
    5. Click OK and check if you can resize it in Visio.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:32 AM
  • Hi Keith, it's not a shapesheet setting (nor is it anything to do with inserting pictures!!!!!!!!!).

All you have to do is hover the mouse cursor over the vertical lines and the cursor will change to the slider cursor, you can then move the lines.

Paul Herber

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Hi Paul and Winnie,

I tried both approaches, and neither worked.

Winnie, It is not a picture; it is a cross-functional diagram with swimming lanes. But I tried your approach. I selected the frame, with the Stop sign slash through it, on the right. In the Protection windows nothing was selected. So that would appear not to be the issue.

Paul, (Nice to be in touch again!) I have a 100 slide Visio file. What you suggest works on most of the slides, but on this slide (and a few others), when I hover over the stop sign, I get a cross hatch; the cursor does not change into the usual friendly slider. So there must be some lock that is set.

Many thanks for any further ideas.

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, January 29, 2018 2:22 PM
  • Would you like to email it to me and I'll take a look.

Paul Herber

• Edited by Paul Herber Monday, January 29, 2018 4:55 PM Removed my email address
    Monday, January 29, 2018 3:36 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I just sent you the file.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, January 29, 2018 3:51 PM
  • Hi Keith, in Visio 2016 the furthest right swim lane cannot be resized by dragging the outer frame line, you have to use the part of the frame just to the right of "Intermediary". However, there is a formula controlling the swimlane width and is set to a minimum value and cannot be reduced in size due to the shapes that are in that swimlane.

A way around this is Page Setup -> Page Size

and tick "Let Visio exapnd the page as needed"

On the other hand it doesn't actually matter if the shapes go outside the page area.

Paul Herber

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Hi Paul,

That 'you have to use the part of the frame just to the right of "Intermediary"' comment solved my problem. I reduced the size of a shape in the rightmost column, and then I was able to use that tip to shrink the width of such column to match the page width.

Also, I need the diagram to fit onto an A4 sheet.

So, problem solved, without the need to delve into formulae. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:19 PM
  • Splendid.

Paul Herber

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Hi Paul,

It's me again. I seem to have another similar problem in the same file. I can't seem to apply your previous answer. I have taken the liberty of emailing you the file if you are able to have a look.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:38 PM
  • Hello anyone out there.

I am still trying to solve this problem. I have a number of slides in a Visio file that have this same problem, so I would rather not recreate them all.

I am trying to narrow the yellow band to the width of the A4 portrait page.

I have attached a test file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkazg5dh601tlsw/Test.vsdx?dl=0

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Sunday, February 4, 2018 4:12 PM
  • Hi Keith.I suspect what has happened is that parts of the frame for the Cross-functional framework have been deleted or corrupted and it has stopped working correctly.

Regarding how to prevent this in the future: difficult to say without knowing every exact operation that had been done on the file.
    One thing I can say though is that almost any attempt to change the format of the framework (i.e. deleting parts of it) will almost inevitably result in tears! The Cross-functional flowchart software builtin to Visio expects certain shapes to be in relation to each other. If they are not then it can't cope. This is not unreasonable.
    HTH.

Paul Herber

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:45 PM
  • Hi Paul, I recreated all of these slides manually. I copied an existing slide with integrity, and then modified it. It actually wasn't as time consuming as I expected. Many thanks. Keith

R K Howard

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:12 PM