none
Remove Public Folder after migration Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear MS Technical IT Pro,

I have just done migration Exchange 2010 co-exist to Exchange 2016. My organization has no need for legacy public folder data in Exchange 2010. I have not been yet migration Public folder from 2010 to 2016. However public folder unused folder and no data in Exchange 2010. I want to ask me to remove the old Exchange server 2010 without moving public exchange 2010 to 2016 was not whether there is an error and what is not.

After a couple of weeks I shutdown the Exchange 2010 server trying to check for distraction on Exchange 2016. The result I checked the Client use Outlook 2010 error workstation windows Credential user prompting on Outlook asked to enter the Outlook logon password.

I have to power on Server exchange 2010 and start services Exchange 2010 see Client outlook connect to Public folder Exchange 210 old is reason ask prompting password logon.

Outlook will keep prompting if Exchange 2016 mailbox access a public folder  in Exchange 2010. And this is caused by improper authentication method.

Let me ask is there a way to completely remove the old Exchange 2010 server from the system safely that the Outlook 2010 workstation can use to connect to the Exchange 2016 server without reporting an outlook password logon error?

Please help me step by step solve my above problem

Many thanks

Sunday, May 21, 2017 12:50 PM

Answers

I have just done migration Exchange 2010 co-exist to Exchange 2016. My organization has no need for legacy public folder data in Exchange 2010. I have not been yet migration Public folder from 2010 to 2016. However public folder unused folder and no data in Exchange 2010. I want to ask me to remove the old Exchange server 2010 without moving public exchange 2010 to 2016 was not whether there is an error and what is not.

After a couple of weeks I shutdown the Exchange 2010 server trying to check for distraction on Exchange 2016. The result I checked the Client use Outlook 2010 error workstation windows Credential user prompting on Outlook asked to enter the Outlook logon password.

I have to power on Server exchange 2010 and start services Exchange 2010 see Client outlook connect to Public folder Exchange 210 old is reason ask prompting password logon.

Outlook will keep prompting if Exchange 2016 mailbox access a public folder  in Exchange 2010. And this is caused by improper authentication method.

Let me ask is there a way to completely remove the old Exchange 2010 server from the system safely that the Outlook 2010 workstation can use to connect to the Exchange 2016 server without reporting an outlook password logon error?

Many thanks

You can try using the Set-MailboxDatabase cmdlet with the DefualtPublicFolderDatabase switch set to $null and see if that helps.  Otherwise, if you don't need the public folder data, remove the public folder database from the 2010 server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Sunday, May 21, 2017 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

One possibility is that Legacy Public Folder database is populated for Exchange 2016 mailbox database.

Go to ADSIEdit -> CN=Configuration,CN=Domain,CN=Com -> CN=Services -> CN=Microsoft Exchange -> CN=Domain -> CN=Administrative Groups -> CN=Exchange Administrative Group -> CN=Databases -> CN=DN in Exchange 2016

Right-click to properties, find msExchHomePublicMDB attribute. Make sure it's empty for all mailbox databases on Exchange 2016.

Depending on the size of your network, you may need to wait for that change to replicate throughout your Active Directory. After replication, it's better to create a new outlook profile to check this issue.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, May 22, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Since your organization has no need for legacy public folder data in Exchange 2010 and you removed Exchange 2010. I would go to ADSIEdit, make sure legacy public folder database has been removed from there. 

Go to ADSIEdit -> CN=Configuration,CN=Domain,CN=Com -> CN=Services -> CN=Microsoft Exchange -> CN=Domain -> CN=Administrative Groups -> CN=Exchange Administrative Group -> CN=Legacy public folder Database Name.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Many thanks for reply Hinte.

"Set-MailboxDatabase cmdlet with the DefualtPublicFolderDatabase switch set to $null and see if that helps" Detail cmd

Thanks

Switch should be PublicFolderDatabase for Set-MailboxDatabase.

Get-MailboxDatabase -Server <Exc2016> |  Set-MailboxDatabase -PublicFolderDatabase $Null

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:53 AM

All replies

Many thanks

You can try using the Set-MailboxDatabase cmdlet with the DefualtPublicFolderDatabase switch set to $null and see if that helps.  Otherwise, if you don't need the public folder data, remove the public folder database from the 2010 server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Sunday, May 21, 2017 7:15 PM

"Set-MailboxDatabase cmdlet with the DefualtPublicFolderDatabase switch set to $null and see if that helps" Detail cmd

Thanks

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

One possibility is that Legacy Public Folder database is populated for Exchange 2016 mailbox database.

Go to ADSIEdit -> CN=Configuration,CN=Domain,CN=Com -> CN=Services -> CN=Microsoft Exchange -> CN=Domain -> CN=Administrative Groups -> CN=Exchange Administrative Group -> CN=Databases -> CN=DN in Exchange 2016

Right-click to properties, find msExchHomePublicMDB attribute. Make sure it's empty for all mailbox databases on Exchange 2016.

Depending on the size of your network, you may need to wait for that change to replicate throughout your Active Directory. After replication, it's better to create a new outlook profile to check this issue.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Many Thanks Lynn-Li
    Monday, May 22, 2017 2:52 AM

Thanks

Switch should be PublicFolderDatabase for Set-MailboxDatabase.

Get-MailboxDatabase -Server <Exc2016> |  Set-MailboxDatabase -PublicFolderDatabase $Null

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

One more question in Side server exchange 2010 what should i do procedure. I remove exchange 2010.

Thanks Lynn-Li

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Since your organization has no need for legacy public folder data in Exchange 2010 and you removed Exchange 2010. I would go to ADSIEdit, make sure legacy public folder database has been removed from there. 

Go to ADSIEdit -> CN=Configuration,CN=Domain,CN=Com -> CN=Services -> CN=Microsoft Exchange -> CN=Domain -> CN=Administrative Groups -> CN=Exchange Administrative Group -> CN=Legacy public folder Database Name.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:13 AM