none
Issues with MAK activation of Windows 10 - 1703 update RRS feed

• Question

• Having issues with my corporate imaged machines. We are using MAK licensing. Have not had any issues up until the Creators update came out. Now it tells me it cannot activate my windows. Windows Activation Troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting has completed.

We found a Windows 10 Pro digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro. To activate using this digital license, you need to intall Windows 10 Pro.

The ABOUT on the box: Edition: Windows 10 Pro; Version: 1703; OS Build: 15063.413; Product ID: 0031-20091-05574-AA200

The MAK key I have been using has work flawlessly since we first deployed Windows 10 in April 2016 (and earlier in testing). this issue has been showing on multiple systems now. 

rickp

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi RickPeterso,

Are these machines OEM with Windows 10 Pro  before?

Please run "slmgr /dlv" to check present activation information. Try to open an administrator command line and run "slmgr /rearm" then run "slmgr /ato" to activate the installation again.
    For the Volume license issue, we could try to ask for help from our Volume License Center.
    Volume Licensing Service Center
    https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 1:57 AM
  • running slmgr /dlv it says i have a licensed version of Windows Proffesional edition. It also says that is in not activated. Notification reason: 0xc004f034

earlier version (pre-creator's update) are activating just fine with that MAK licensing key. 

rickp

Monday, June 19, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hello,

Can you post the output from slmgr /DLV?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 19, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Our MAC key has recently changed the new key now works (nice someone tells the guy working on the corp images... )

rickp

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:20 PM
  • I am now getting the error again. 

We use multiple hardware platforms with this image. We have MAK keys available when we check the counts. The key is valid. cannot activate the version of windows. it says there is a valid digital license for Windows 10 Pro. It identifies the version of windows as Windows 10 Pro. Did not have this issue until the 1703 update/version came out. 

rickp

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Software Licensing service version: 10.0.15063.0

Name: Windows(R), Professional edition

Description: Windows(r) Operating System, VOLUME_MAK channel

Activation ID: 49cd895b-53b2-4dc4-a5f7-b18aa019ad37

Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ecf16059f

Extended PID: 03612-03312-047-171282-03-1033-15063.0000-1712017

Product Key Channel: Volume:MAK

Installation ID:

Use License URL: 

https://activation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActivateProduct.asmx?configextension=Retail

Validation URL: https://validation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLWGA/slwga.asmx

Partial Product Key: VXMQB

License Status: Notification

Notification Reason: 0xC004F034.

Remaining Windows rearm count 1000

Remaining SKU rearm count 1000

Trusted time 7/6/2017 11:24:29 AM

rickp

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Hello Rick,

How are you logged into these machine? 

Are they domain joined?

Are they logged into AAD?

Is a Microsoft Account being used with the logon ID?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 7, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Yes, they are joined to the domain. We don't use Microsoft accts, we use our own domain accts. This wasn't a issue until the 1703 update. Been building corp images since Windows 95, and activation hasn't been a issue before... Now i have at least 4-5 (probably more) users whose computers are coming up needing activation. Some of these users are remote. 

rickp

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Hey Rick, do you not use KMS (Key Management System) which is part of ADK (If I remember correctly). What does KMS state about the current status of your licenses?
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:16 PM
  • we use MAK... it says we have 1000 licenses

rickp

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:49 AM
  • Most recent imaging effort: Imaged laptop with a image made from the same model Dell. The former is activated, the later is not. when i put in my MAC key it says: Unable to Activate Windows

We can't activate windows on this device as the Product key you entered does not match the hardware profile. If you recently re[aired windows or made significant hardware changes to the device, select troubleshoot to try to fix the problem or go to the Store to buy genuine windows (0xc00400f).

Troubleshooting:

We found a Windows 10 Pro digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro. To activate using this digital license, you need to install windows 10 Pro. 

The key and copy of windows was downloaded directly from Microsoft. 

I have a identical model Laptop using the same windows 10 install and MAC key activated sitting side by side. 

Never saw  this until the 1703 update.

rickp

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:20 PM
  • As I mentioned before generally I use KMS to view the status of my clients and they activation state, as well as my MAK keys and how many activation's are left on the key.

It might be possible you ran out of your activation's available on your MAK. You can view how many instances you have left on a particular MAK in KMS which is a MMC snap-in part of VAMT (Volume Activation Management Tool). I currently use 3.1 which uses SQL express to store all the data.

As you can see from this picture it'll tell you how many activations your key has remaining. Once your activation count is done you have to contact MS support to get a new Key.

I had this issue in particular with Office 2013 where I was in a testing phase and was activating the product on test system, not being aware it was subtracting from my activation limit. I had to contact MS support for them to generate me a new key, cause once you use an activation on a MAK you can't revert it.

Let us know if this helps. Since you haven't provided us any evidence of you using KMS to verify the activation count remaining on your MAK.

• Edited by Zewwy Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hello Rick,

You may want to open a support case.

The product key would need to be verified for example.

This isn't an installation of Windows 10 LTSB for example or the MAK key is one intended for Windows 10 LTSB is it?

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:55 PM
  • I don't know what LTSB is. I tried using VAMT. It asks me for the location of the db. I ask around and they take me out to Microsoft's website and show me our product key's and the number of activation's used and available. Under MAK is shows the key i am using 4/2500. Which is probably close since i started using this new key (see above)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the chest, but since i started doing this in 1997-98... embedding a key in a corp image has been a no brainier, and even when those fail (which as seldom), typing in the valid key "fixed" it. 

The 1703 update is going to be a huge pain if i now have to custom install Windows for each machine on our network... 

rickp

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Rick,

Can you be more specific?

" I ask around and they take me out to Microsoft's website and show me our product key's and the number of activation's used and available."

From this it seem as if you launched VAMT but the database used to store all the devices, keys and their status' was not directly available at launch. (depending on the version, I'm assuming 3.0) I'm also assuming a default installation, that there should be an instance of SQL express on the server VMAT was installed on. As this is the only tool I'm aware of that holds this information and can be used to update this information with MS servers online.

Also you failed to mention what MS website, I can again assume you mean the VLSC website. I personally have not been able to view activation and amount remaining from this website. You'd have to provide more details again as I'm working off assumptions.

You also seemed to have mentioned injecting the key into your installation imagine, I'm not aware how you are deploying your images to your end devices, but I again, based on your description, assuming that you ran out of activations.

As mentioned a couple times now, you best bet is to contact MS support to determine the state of your MAK key, and if reported to be valid with remaining activations they should be able to help diag the cause.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:41 PM
  • It seems to "magically" fixed itself now... (i've said that before...)

rickp

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:49 AM
  • Did you find any solution to this. I'm having the exact same issues but need the 1703 update for a particular application.

I'm seeing machines initially show as activated but then dropping out shortly after.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Activation has been happening now for me... Not always right away... it can take a few days... so yes and no... Edge crashing has taken over my attention now. Love Microsoft... 

rickp

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:44 PM
  • I know this is an old thread but just in case someone drops in here I just wanted to relate the same experience that I had with 1703 build.  "I'm seeing machines initially show as activated but then dropping out shortly after", I went through the same nightmare. I bought an OEM version of Windows Pro and yes indeed, it showed as activated initially and suddenly I was seeing this watermark info requiring further activation.  After several attempts with activation help from Microsoft, I did not really progress much. I was hoping too that it would magically fix itself as what I read from other forums.  But I never had the luxury of time while my printer was disabled, and worst it would not allow me to open attachments to a financial software. I'm not much of a techie but I'm under the impression that this particular version is very susceptible and unforgiving to the subtle changes in the system's hardware configuration. My fix was worth $119, I just replaced it with a retail home edition of Windows 10 and thus lost $149 for a handicapped Windows Pro.  But overall, it was worth my peace of mind and precious time.  

I just wish that Microsoft with all its vaunted manpower would be a bit more prudent in testing the software in a real world environment before deployment.  It's wasting a lot of other people's resources, time and money.  I guess we as a public have always been complacent assuming that the fault is on our side  while we put our faith on corporate giant like Microsoft that they could do no wrong :-). 

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Dude Cris,

Your Windows 10 pro key isn't handicapped. You can use it for any iteration of Windows 10 pro (1503, 1607, 1703, and the latest 1709)

Try out some of the other version (I'd recommend the Falls creators update 1709) They polished some of these annoyances out.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 10:11 PM