none
Can you limit CPU usage by user or application

Question

• Hi there,

I've had a site today that had ground to a halt because one user's winword.exe on terminal server was using almost 90% CPU making the server basically unavailable for everyone.

Is it possible to limit the CPU used by each user or application to a maximum of 10% or something?

This is not the first site where I've seen this kind of issue. They were using Office 2003 on Server 2008 R2 RDS.

Thanks

Kieran

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When using W2K8 RDS/Terminal Services there the the Windows System Resource Manager. From there you are able to limit CPU usage on a per user or application level. It is a W2K8 feature you will need to add through the Server Manager.

regards Robert Maijen
    • Proposed as answer by JamesNT Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:15 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 3:15 PM
  • That's fantastic Robert. I'll give that a try right away.

Thanks

Kieran

• Proposed as answer by Diego Meda Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:02 PM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Hi, Kieran,

You're seeing this behavior on WS08 R2, not on WS08?

The default behavior on WS08 R2 is to have Dynamic Fair Share Scheduling enabled, which works with the kernel-level scheduler to allocate processor time to each session (see link for more details). Can you give us some details about the circumstances under which this is happening?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/05/29/using-wsrm-to-control-rds-dynamic-fair-share-scheduling.aspx

Thanks,

Christa

Christa Anderson [MSFT] Want the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit? Click here.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:18 AM
    Owner
  • How about for those of us that are stuck on Windows Server 2003 R2 Terminal Services for the time being?  I have the same issue. 

JamesNT

"If you have to ask about various operating system limits, you're probably doing something wrong." -Raymond Chen
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:56 PM
  • JamesNT - you might want to give this a try:

threadmaster.tripod.com

• Edited by Unoh Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JamesNT Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:16 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:58 PM
  • checkout "Process Arbiter" tool. It's free.

http://www.s-inn.de/ProcessArbiter/Default.aspx

It does not throttle CPU but changes process priorities on the fly.

I have used it in similar situations, to keep servers responsive.

Think about a kind of broadband antibiotic for servers which struggles with CPU intensive, crazy processes. :-) 

• Proposed as answer by JamesNT Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:16 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:35 PM