none
ECP vs OWA authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Im trying to configure an on-premise exchange installation and would like to have OWA authenticate using integrated windows authentication and ECP using forms based authentication. I haven't run across any articles that indicate how this can be accomplished - everything suggests that both authentication methods must be the same.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt.

• Edited by MattM44554 Monday, July 15, 2019 3:11 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi all,

Im trying to configure an on-premise exchange installation and would like to have OWA authenticate using integrated windows authentication and ECP using forms based authentication. I haven't run across any articles that indicate how this can be accomplished - everything suggests that both authentication methods must be the same.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt.

They have to match because of the integration between the OWA and the user settings
    Monday, July 15, 2019 10:31 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Additional information about it: when you modify authentication for OWA/ECP, try to modify them from Exchange server side(Set-OwaVirtualDirectory), then it will sync to IIS.

I don't suggest you modify them from IIS directly, it may cause OWA break down.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:03 AM
  • I still don't have a 'clean' answer to this but it looks like we will instead opt for having a small 'management' server just for the admins to log into Exchange control panel (via FBA) and have the other exchange servers offering OWA to users via a load-balanced and windows-authenticated route.

Not perfect but it does resolve the issue of having different authentication methods for the two sites. If anyone comes up with anything else, I'd love to know.

Thanks for the ideas though chaps.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:18 PM
  • I still don't have a 'clean' answer to this but it looks like we will instead opt for having a small 'management' server just for the admins to log into Exchange control panel (via FBA) and have the other exchange servers offering OWA to users via a load-balanced and windows-authenticated route.

Not perfect but it does resolve the issue of having different authentication methods for the two sites. If anyone comes up with anything else, I'd love to know.

Why the need to have two different authentications?
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:49 PM

Glad to see your find a workaround. The reason about why we suggest you use the same authentication is that ECP and OWA are used by each other in some scenario.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:31 AM