none
Outlook 2010 will not close on exit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have several PCs on a domain (Win XP SP3, Office 2010, Sophos AV). When Outlook is closed, the process continues to run and increases in memory.

I have tried:

• Outlook Safe mode
    • Disabling all add ins
    • Clean booting
    • Disabling AV
    • Uninstalling AV
    • New Outlook profile
    • New Windows profile
    • Reinstalling office (including removing registry entries before reinstalling)
    • Reinstalling Windows

I have changed Changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\pst\pstnullfreeonclose to 0 and this now ment that Outlook closes straight away if it has not been open for  more than 4 hours. Anythig beoynd that and the memory leak occurs.

Everything I have seen on the net talks about disabling either an Itunes or skype add in which our PCs do not have because it is a corprate environment.

I'm at my wits end because nothing I have tried seems to fix the issue. Can anyone else give me some pointers?

TNX

• Moved by Sally Tang Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:54 AM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Cherry,

I have verified that it is Office Communicator that is causing the issue. Since we only have a small OCS rollout I won't be playing with the registry settings for the time being (Since we roll out Office 2010 in a week and this only affects 10 out of 2500 PCs).

I am not supprised though that OCS is not smart enough to detect that Outlook is closing and to not poll it. Hopefully this becomes annoying enough that someone either creates a hotfix or an update for it by the time we roll out OCS sitewide in 6 months time.

To Sum Up:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\pst\pstnullfreeonclose needs to be set to 0
    2. Office communicator needs to be closed before Outlook
    Hopefully this can help others...

Kind Regards,

Daniel

• Marked as answer by Sirris Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 AM

All replies

• I have found that we have two issues.

The first issue is that on some (not all) the Registry key  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\pst\pstnullfreeonclose is set to 1 when it should be 0.

The second issue which happens when Outlook has been open for more than 4 hours seems to be caused by Office Communicator. I am going to test closing Office Communicator before closing Outlook Thisafternoon and see how it goes.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds like you are closing in on the problem. When enabled, the PSTNullFreeOnClose setting will cause Outlook to remain running in the background while deleted data is zeroed out in the PST/OST.  If this is not a setting you require, then it can be removed, or the value changed to 0.

2022995 After installing Office 2007 SP2, Outlook takes a long time to close and Outlook.exe remains running in the background
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2022995

What were your results when closing Office Communicator before Outlook? The following KB article, although it discusses the iTunes add-in, can also apply to other add-ins when running alongside a MAPI application such as Communicator.

2449281 Outlook does not close after you install iTunes or another add-in
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2449281

Have you tried the registry settings from this article that allow you to control the shutdown behavior of the add-in and/or Outlook?

Cherry Canaday
    [MSFT]

Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Hi Cherry,

I have verified that it is Office Communicator that is causing the issue. Since we only have a small OCS rollout I won't be playing with the registry settings for the time being (Since we roll out Office 2010 in a week and this only affects 10 out of 2500 PCs).

I am not supprised though that OCS is not smart enough to detect that Outlook is closing and to not poll it. Hopefully this becomes annoying enough that someone either creates a hotfix or an update for it by the time we roll out OCS sitewide in 6 months time.

To Sum Up:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\pst\pstnullfreeonclose needs to be set to 0
    2. Office communicator needs to be closed before Outlook
    Hopefully this can help others...

Kind Regards,

Daniel

• Marked as answer by Sirris Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 AM
  • I don't have Office Communicator installed and I am still having the "hang on exit" problem with Outlook 2010. In addition, there is no such registry entry for Outlook in my registry, so I can't set any value to "0", unless you are recommending that the registry entry should be ADDED to the registry. I'm not sure this is relevant, but I'm using Office 2010 Professional Plus 64 bit on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Sorry I was a little unclear there about the registry key. It didn't exist on my installation either. I had to add it manually.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Sunday, December 5, 2010 9:21 PM