none
Lync 2010 client 64-bit deactivates and does not recognize License Key

Question

• I purchased Office 2010 Professional Plus, which comes with Microsoft Lync.  Unfortunately, only the 32-bit version of Lync is available for download via Digital River, and the 32-bit version of Lync will not install on Windows 7 64-bit (according to the error message, the installer itself is not compatible with a 64-bit operating system).  No problem: I download the Lync 2010 client 64-bit download and install it, and things work perfectly until the 180-day trial period expires.  Apparently the Lync 2010 client 64-bit is unable to recognize the Product License Key associated with the Office 2010 Professional Plus installation on this machine.

Where/how can I update the Lync 2010 client 64-bit so that I can use this application for which I am licensed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

• Moved by Max Meng Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:13 AM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office Volume Activation)
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:29 AM

All replies

• Who controls your Lync  server? is it a company or office 365? Either way that party should be able to get hold of the exe installer for you

It's also on technet and msdn if you have anyone with access, but that's for testing only.

thanks

Tom

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Join over 300 UC Pros who subscribe for blog updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

If you had bought the Lync server 2010, which should include the licensed 32bit and 64bit lync client.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:28 AM
  • I don't need to buy the Lync Server. I purchased Office 2010 Professional Plus via the HUP. The HUP *includes* the Microsoft Lync client, for obvious reasons. It's not the lack of a license that's the issue: it's the fact that the way to apply the license is completely undocumented (or, arguably, the fact that the 32-bit Lync client simply refuses to install on 64-bit versions of Windows).
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you get a chance to contact HUP support ? https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx?culture=en

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Thank you. I was unable to find that from the HUP site, so the link is appreciated. I've submitted a ticket, and will post here to let everyone know what the resolution is for this problem.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:46 AM
  • I have the same problem and the response I received from HUP is detailed there.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsclients/thread/7c85d28b-38b2-4308-af24-2e4faa103dc3/

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:48 PM
  • HUP got back to me and provided a link to a new file.  Hurray!  Too bad it was just the 64-bit version of Office 2010 Professional Plus, and not the Lync 2010 Client 64-bit I asked for.  Ironically, as soon as I saw the 700MB+ download I asked them if they were certain it was the correct file (they assured me it was).  I wrote them back and asked for the correct file; I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Does anyone know what the file name is by default?  For example, the 32-bit installer is x17-30021.exe.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:49 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem:

My company uses a Lync Server, I purchased MS Office 2010 via the HUP (home Use Program), but that only provides a 32-bit Lync installer.

So like many, I downloaded the 64-bit trial version from MS downloads and now it has expired.  I need to get it working again.  Any advice?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:51 PM
  • If you can find it, install Office Communicator 2007.  After that, re-install the Lync Client 64-bit trial edition.  That seems to reset the "how long have you installed this" flag.

Microsoft: I'll be happy to delete this post when you give me the product I paid for.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:58 PM