none
Single item recovery theory question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Having read this article many times I still can't put together the following facts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The Recoverable Items folder contains the following subfolders:

• Deletions: This subfolder contains all items deleted from the Deleted Items folder. (In Outlook, a user can soft delete an item by pressing Shift+Delete.) This subfolder is exposed to users through the Recover Deleted Items feature in Outlook and Outlook on the web.

• Versions: If In-Place Hold or Litigation Hold is enabled, this subfolder contains the original and modified copies of the deleted items. This folder isn't visible to end users.

• Purges: If either Litigation Hold or single item recovery is enabled, this subfolder contains all items that are hard deleted. This folder isn't visible to end users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this - "Purges: If either Litigation Hold or single item recovery is enabled, this subfolder contains all items that are hard deleted." - I must conclude that if neither Litigation Hold or single item recovery is enabled NO items should move to the Purges subfolder.

2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items remain in the Deletions subfolder until the deleted item retention period is reached. The default deleted item retention period for a mailbox database is 14 days

After the deleted item retention period expires, the item is moved to the Purges folder and is no longer visible to the user. When the Managed Folder Assistant processes the mailbox, items in the Purges subfolder are purged from the mailbox database."

Having read this - "After the deleted item retention period expires, the item is moved to the Purges folder" - I know that ANY item which retention period has expired must move to the Purges folder - but it contradicts 1) so

Q1: Which part of documentation is correct as these two paragraphs can't be correct simultaneously?

3 Single item recovery -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Exchange Server, you can use single item recovery to recover items without using backup media to restore the mailbox databases. This results in considerably shorter recovery periods. When the Managed Folder Assistant processes the Recoverable Items folder for a mailbox that has single item recovery enabled, any item in the Purges subfolder isn't purged if the deleted item retention period hasn't expired for that item."

According to the "After the deleted item retention period expires, the item is moved to the Purges folder " the Purges folder will contain ONLY those items which retention period have already expired. The only exception to this is when a user purges an item using his/her Recover Deleted items feature - in this case the whole Single item recovery feature allows to recovery only this - I suppose very small - subset of the deleted ("manually purged") items.

Q2: In which cases an item can be in the Purges subfolder with NOT expired retention period ?

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Yes, Single Item Recover allows administrators recover a single item. As per my understanding, SIR is used for the item that is removed from client side totally. It is a part of organization compliance management. If items are in the Deletion folder, as you said, users can easily recover them from Recover Deleted Items. When the item is deleted from Deletion folder, SIR comes in. Administrators can recover deleted items as long as those items are not removed from the mailbox database.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by MF47 Monday, April 22, 2019 9:17 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 8:37 AM

All replies

• The documentations doesn't say that "ONLY" items put on hold will be visible there. Both cases are valid. If you have the SIR feature enabled, any hard-deleted messages will be kept there for the duration of the SIR window, which gives the admins time to restore them. And if you have hold enabled, this window turns to infinity.

So to answer Q2, items that are hard-deleted by the user end up in the Purges folder. It goes Deleted items -> Deletions (or Recover deleted items as it's shown in clients) -> Purges.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 5:48 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Purge folder contains the following items.

• When a user deletes an item from the Recoverable Items folder (by using the Recover Deleted Items tool in Outlook and Outlook on the web), the item is moved to the Purges folder.
    • Items that exceed the deleted item retention period configured on the mailbox database or the mailbox are also moved to the Purges folder.
    • If a mailbox is put on Litigation Hold, deleted items are moved to this folder. 

For your reference:

Holds and the Recoverable Items folder

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:21 AM
  • "The documentations doesn't say that "ONLY" items " - neither do I. By "Both cases" I meant 1) "If either Litigation Hold or single item recovery is enabled, this subfolder contains all items that are hard deleted." and 2) "After the deleted item retention period expires, the item is moved to the Purges folder" - please excuse me if I has not made it clear.

What is "duration of the SIR window" - the article says only about the the deleted item retention period which is NOT specific to SIR.

Purge folder contains the following items.

• 1a When a user deletes an item from the Recoverable Items folder (by using the Recover Deleted Items tool in Outlook and Outlook on the web), the item is moved to the Purges folder.
    • 2a Items that exceed the deleted item retention period configured on the mailbox database or the mailbox are also moved to the Purges folder.
    • 3a If a mailbox is put on Litigation Hold, deleted items are moved to this folder

I There also shoud be 4a = if ingle item recovery is enabled

II  1a and 2a contradict 1) - "

• Purges: If either Litigation Hold or single item recovery is enabled, this subfolder contains all items that are hard deleted. This folder isn't visible to end users.

In other words, according to 1a and 2a items will move to the Purges folder even when NEITHER Litigation Hold no single item recovery is enabled - that means the paragraph 1 is incorrect.

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:17 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:47 AM
  • P.S. Am I getting it right that the only purpose of the SIR feature is this: ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/user-mailboxes/single-item-recovery?view=exchserver-2019

This lets an administrator recover messages purged by the user before the deleted item retention period expires.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Yup, that's it. So the above 1) and 2) point are also correct, as long as you consider them in the context of SIR.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:16 PM
  • In this case I don't understand why it's called the Single item Recovery - to me it sounds as if with this option enabled an administrator does have the ability to recover a single item and does not when it's disabled. In fact it just can help in very rare cases (when a user purges his/her item before its deleted item retention period expires) and this feature does not affect the ability to recover a single item at all - I think most users won't purge their items and all their deleted items will stay in the Recoverable items\Deletions folder for the the whole duration of the deleted item retention period, and those items can be easily recovered from the Deletions folder without SIR.

It's my understanding that the feature called SIR should help administrators recover a single item right from the database backup - without the need to recover the whole user mailbox (to some other dummy mailbox) and then searching for the item of interest.

Regards,
    Michael

Friday, April 19, 2019 10:34 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, Single Item Recover allows administrators recover a single item. As per my understanding, SIR is used for the item that is removed from client side totally. It is a part of organization compliance management. If items are in the Deletion folder, as you said, users can easily recover them from Recover Deleted Items. When the item is deleted from Deletion folder, SIR comes in. Administrators can recover deleted items as long as those items are not removed from the mailbox database.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

• Marked as answer by MF47 Monday, April 22, 2019 9:17 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Hi Dawn,

Thank you for the clarification!

Regards,
    Michael

Monday, April 22, 2019 9:17 AM