none
Add Exchange 2016 to existing AD with Azure AD connect to Office 365

Question

• Hi all,

We currently have a "clean" new AD forest that never had an Exchange server. This AD is connected to Office 365 and the accounts get synced (password sync) to Office 365 through Azure AD Connect on a local server.

For performance reasons we want to use the co-exist licensing and have a couple of users transfer to a local Exchange 2016 instance with a local mailbox.

Can this be done by just adding the new Exchange 2016 to the "clean" local AD? or do i need to prepare this? And if Exchange is installed, will it pick up/see/connect to the Office 365 Exchange accounts and can i just migrate some of the mailboxes to the local Exchange?

I have seen some similar scenario's but they usually assume there was a previous local Exchange instance in AD. This is not the case for me as nothing from O365 gets synced back locally.

Thanks!

Monday, September 04, 2017 11:56 AM

Answers

• What do you mean by using "co-exist licensing"?

As far as I know, the "free license" you get in a hybrid config, is that you cannot host any local mailboxes. Maybe this have been changed, but not that I'm aware of.

If you want to introduce a new Exchange server, you will need to prepare ad and schema before installation. Then you should run AD connect and select hybrid for Exchange. Then you run hybrid config in Exchange on-premise.

Not sure if its supported...

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Monday, September 04, 2017 12:47 PM
  • Also note that if you do this, you will need to create remote mailboxes for all the 365 mailboxes, otherwise on-prem users will not be able to see the 365 mailboxes in the Outlook GAL, nor will you be able to manage them from EAC. 
    Monday, September 04, 2017 1:29 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by using "co-exist licensing"?

As far as I know, the "free license" you get in a hybrid config, is that you cannot host any local mailboxes. Maybe this have been changed, but not that I'm aware of.

If you want to introduce a new Exchange server, you will need to prepare ad and schema before installation. Then you should run AD connect and select hybrid for Exchange. Then you run hybrid config in Exchange on-premise.

Not sure if its supported...

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Monday, September 04, 2017 12:47 PM
  • Also note that if you do this, you will need to create remote mailboxes for all the 365 mailboxes, otherwise on-prem users will not be able to see the 365 mailboxes in the Outlook GAL, nor will you be able to manage them from EAC. 
    Monday, September 04, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Hi Dennes,

The above suggestion is great, is there any other concern about your requirement?
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. 

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 11, 2017 1:38 AM