none
Outlook 2016 and Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please help I have office 365 pro plus installed on my machine, and we running Exchange 2016 on-premise.

Problem 1. the outlook clients fails to update the inbox folder but any other folders are up to date and receive emails as they come.

Problem 2. All deleted items on Outlook clients on my machine stills show on the inbox, and the mailbox is growing in such way that it is reaching the limit set on the Database level.

I have tried to remove and re-install office several times, delete and re-create .ost file but still nothing changes.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:42 PM

All replies

• How is the profile configured ? By regular Auto Discover or Are you're using POP/IMAP ? 
    • Edited by S_K_P Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

>>Problem 1. the outlook clients fails to update the inbox folder but any other folders are up to date and receive emails as they come.

Do all emails show correctly on the web mail?

We can manually update folders to see if it makes any difference. Please choose Inbox and then click Send/Receive tab > Update Folder.

Besides, have you set any filters? In case new emails are hidden by view settings, we can click View > Reset View.

>>Problem 2. All deleted items on Outlook clients on my machine stills show on the inbox,

Please directly delete messages on OWA and see if deleted items remain in inbox.

If issue only occurs on the Outlook client, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, are there too many items in the Deleted items folder? Please try empty Deleted folder and then check the results.

In addition, these two issues can also be related with a corrupted profile. If none of the steps above helps, please create a new profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Auto Discover
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Do all emails show correctly on the web mail? Yes 

We can manually update folders to see if it makes any difference. Please choose Inbox and then click Send/Receive tab > Update Folder. - This fails, I can only manually update the folder if I first clear offline items and then run update folder.

Besides, have you set any filters? In case new emails are hidden by view settings, we can click View > Reset View. No filters at all.

Please directly delete messages on OWA and see if deleted items remain in inbox. - Messages deleted from OWA are now all sitting under Deleted Items Folder and this cannot be emptied.

In addition, these two issues can also be related with a corrupted profile. If none of the steps above helps, please create a new profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add. - to get outlook client to temporal work, I have been deleting .ost and remove the profiles from control panel and re-create new ones. This seems to work for an hour or so then outlook will be back to initially problems mentioned above.

Thank you for your response.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:50 AM
  • >> I have been deleting .ost and remove the profiles from control panel and re-create new ones. This seems to work for an hour or so then outlook will be back to initially problems mentioned above.

It seems that some settings keep getting broken. Have you tried safe mode? Does it work?

Did you install any antivirus software on the computer? These software will integrate with Outlook client which may cause some issues. Please temporarily exit these programs and then check the results.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Auto Discover
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Auto Discover

Could I know what do you mean by "AutoDiscover"? 

Do you tested AutoDiscover function? Are there any errors?

Regards,

Perry

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:26 AM