none
Shared workbook in excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a shared workbook with individual sheets for each project within the team. I need to review any changes they make to their sheets as this information is used elsewhere.

When there is a newproject, I need to copy the template. The problem is that when I try to copy the template all the formatting is lost. I can't unshare the workbook as there is nearly always someone using the workbook and they would not be able to save their changes. Is there a work round for this problem?

Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that the shared Excel file will lost formatting after you copied them. Do you like to tell us how do you copy them? Which format did it lost?

Based on my tested, if I copied the content from shared file to a new file, it only changed the column width. Thus,

we could try the use "keep data formatting" when we paste the template, it'll keep the value and formatting.

If you only need the formatting without value/formal, we also could choose "Formatting only"

https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/291358?wa=wsignin1.0

Tip: Please use the same Excel format when copy/paste, such as both XLSX.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, October 13, 2014 6:09 AM

All replies

• 1. Mark everything you want copied in the template
    2. Click Format Painter icon on Start 

3. Open a new Excel worksheet and right-click in cell A1 ... voilà

Regards Pete

Sunday, October 12, 2014 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that the shared Excel file will lost formatting after you copied them. Do you like to tell us how do you copy them? Which format did it lost?

Based on my tested, if I copied the content from shared file to a new file, it only changed the column width. Thus,

we could try the use "keep data formatting" when we paste the template, it'll keep the value and formatting.

If you only need the formatting without value/formal, we also could choose "Formatting only"

https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/291358?wa=wsignin1.0

Tip: Please use the same Excel format when copy/paste, such as both XLSX.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, October 13, 2014 6:09 AM