none
Outlook 2010 - Personal Folders Password Lockout

Question

• I recently purchased Outlook 2010 to load as part of a business network at my small business.  There are 3 computers connected to the server, so nothing big.  After downloading the ISO and burning it to disc I was able to successfully install Outlook with ease.  Once in Outlook I was asked to create a password for Outlook access, which I entered.  After Outlook booted it asked for another password for my "Personal Folders".  This is the first time I had set up Outlook, so I entered the password that I had given Outlook before for access to no avail.  I then entered "password"- fail.  After "password" I entered nothing to see if it would give me something, and nothing.  Basically I am locked out of the program that I just bought, and according to the Microsoft website there is no way to disable the personal folders password or change it.  Microsoft doesn't keep it on record, and there is no way to change it if you have no password to begin with.  How on earth is it possible for Microsoft to sell a product that is able to COMPLETELY lock out the user without any fix?  How do I get to use this product that I paid over 300 dollars for? PLEASE HELP!

Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:14 PM

Answers

• You can use the Mail applet in the control panel (use data files button) to add a new PST file to your existing e-mail profile and even set it as the default delivery location.

The bad news is if you set a password on a PST file, there are no Microsoft tools that will allow recovery.  You would have to turn to 3rd party sources (e.g. just Google outlook 2010 pst password recovery).

I recently purchased Outlook 2010 to load as part of a business network at my small business.  There are 3 computers connected to the server, so nothing big.  After downloading the ISO and burning it to disc I was able to successfully install Outlook with ease.  Once in Outlook I was asked to create a password for Outlook access, which I entered.  After Outlook booted it asked for another password for my "Personal Folders".  This is the first time I had set up Outlook, so I entered the password that I had given Outlook before for access to no avail.  I then entered "password"- fail.  After "password" I entered nothing to see if it would give me something, and nothing.  Basically I am locked out of the program that I just bought, and according to the Microsoft website there is no way to disable the personal folders password or change it.  Microsoft doesn't keep it on record, and there is no way to change it if you have no password to begin with.  How on earth is it possible for Microsoft to sell a product that is able to COMPLETELY lock out the user without any fix?  How do I get to use this product that I paid over 300 dollars for? PLEASE HELP!

Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:04 PM