none
Folder appears in Windows Explorer, but not in the Open File dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, please let me know where is.

A friend just showed me a weird problem he is having with his computer. He is using Windows 7 pro, and has a folder under My Documents, in which he keeps his work files. He emails these files using Gmail, which he accesses via Internet Explorer.

All worked fine until a few days ago, when he noticed that when he clicked the link in Gmail to attach a file, his folder wasn't listed in the Open File dialog. He looked in Windows Explorer, and could see the folder OK. I tried opening Word and using the Open File dialog there, and the folder wasn't visible.

If he clicks in the address bar, and adds the folder name to the path, it opens the folder, but shows it as empty. I actually has two subfolders. If he adds the name of a subfolder, then the Open File dialog shows the files in that folder.

I checked the permissions on the folder, and couldn't see anything odd. What I don't understand is how the folder can be visible in Windows Explorer, and not in the Open File dialog.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Monday, May 6, 2013 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check out this thread:

Invisible files and / or folders in Windows 7

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Hello Tracy,

Thanks for the link, but I don't that's the issue. The discussion there, and in the linked thread, is all about saving files to places where Microsoft doesn't want you to go today. I my case, the folder in question is under the user's My Documents folder, which is hardly likely to be subject to the same restrictions.

Thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:35 PM
  • I can't reproduce exactly what you have described, but the "arrange by" option can make folders disappear in Documents open file dialog when not set to Folders. Images below are of the same folder. Both sub-folders contain a single text file.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm seeing happens if you look at the My Documents folder from the Libraries, or under the user's special folder (ie you click the user name under Desktop in the left-hand panel). With the latter, you don't get that "Arrange by" dropdown, so I can't change it. I did try changing the view from Details (the annoying default) to List, but it didn't make any difference.

By the way, how did you get the dark theme for Explorer? It's really good. Please let me know.

Thanks again. Any further suggestions welcome.

• Edited by Mr Yossu Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Sorry, that was all I could think of.

The theme requires Windowblinds which costs money but the theme is free and you can get it here

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/7784/

Definitely a favorite.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Thanks anyway

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

Please try run ScanDisk to determine if the file has become cross-linked with other files or folders and repair any errors.

1.On the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click ScanDisk.
    NOTE: If ScanDisk does not appear on the submenu, it may not be installed. Rerun Windows Setup in maintenance mode to install ScanDisk.

2.Select the drive you want to check and click Start.

Thanks,

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by tracycaiModerator Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mr Yossu Friday, May 17, 2013 1:22 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

Any update? Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:01 AM
  • Hello Kevin,

Unfortunately not. I emailed my friend with the suggestions I was given, but haven't heard back from him. I'll give him a nudge and see.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:18 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem.  This is the only thread that I have found that describes the problem correctly but there appears to be no solution :(

This is appears to be an IE problem as it works fine in Firefox.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:29 AM
  • I can confirm - I'm having the exact same problem.

When I try to lookup or save a file from an IE file dialog some folders do not show up. I can type the folder name into the directory field and it then goes there, but this assumes you know the directory name and it's a PITB.

Firefox can browse to the directory directly.

It would be interesting if anyone else found a fix for this - I'll post here again if I find out more somewhere else, but there are not too many threads out there as far as I have found for now.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:32 PM
  • I can confirm - I'm having the exact same problem.

When I try to lookup or save a file from an IE file dialog some folders do not show up. I can type the folder name into the directory field and it then goes there, but this assumes you know the directory name and it's a PITB.

Firefox can browse to the directory directly.

It would be interesting if anyone else found a fix for this - I'll post here again if I find out more somewhere else, but there are not too many threads out there as far as I have found for now.

Found a solution over at answers at Microsoft dot com. (can post links here yet - will update once I can)

In short: There's a fast fix for this issue by resetting a hidden flag that IE sets for some folders. I believe this part of the "protected mode" feature, though I can't confirm and also have no idea how this would protect me from any intruders, if only (unimportant) subfolders are protected ...

Anyway - if you know the name of the missing folder (e.g. from browsing the directories form windows explorer): in the parent directory that has the folder missing do a Search (in box at top right) for the missing
    folder name. In my case the hidden folder shows up in the search - now right click -> Properties -> clear hidden flag. Note: this "hidden" flag is independent of the flags set in windows explorer - that's why you have trouble going there with IE and not the file explorer from the desktop.

• Proposed as answer by hobbes_VT Friday, May 16, 2014 3:17 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 3:17 PM
  • Interesting thread.  I have the same issue with Internet Explorer in Windows 10 and I have been unable to resolve this yet.  In my case, it's the Pictures folder that fails to show any content.  It looks like Internet Explorer is unable to "see" the path under my current user folder.  I can browse the hard drive and I can see Administrator and Public folders but my current user folder (and all the subfolders it contains) are nowhere to be found.  If I look in Windows File Explorer, I can see everything so I have to copy the path each time I want to access an image in my picture folder from within Internet Explorer.  It looks like a rights issue but I can't figure out how to fix this.

Any thoughts?

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:37 PM