none
Media Center crashes under Windows 7

Question

• Windows Media centre crashes after upgrading to Winows 7 OS. It does not even get to the set-up screen. A black square fills up half the screen and continuously flashes on and off. Must use task manager to exit. Had no problems with Vista. Any suggestions?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:24 PM

Answers

• Problem is now solved. I simply re-installed the drivers for my Dell monitor.
    I also re-installed the drivers for my Dell printer. It now works.
    You should not have to do this when you upgrade an OS.
    (But then I should have done a clean install).
    • Marked as answer by Bengy09 Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Bengy09,

Please try reload Windows Media Center to check the result:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
    2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
    3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Center". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

Can Windows Media Center be launched now? If the issue persists, please collect the System Information by the steps below:

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Please send the zip file to us.

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=ab390d48-ba8f-4129-9502-03c62cc78d2b)

Password: ^msI)ZLYuhT+j5Um

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:42 AM
  • I tried all the above but no luck. Maybe I shold have done a clean install of Windows 7. There must be a conflicting file somewhere. No other problems exist after I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista.
    Nothing on Dell site to help me either.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Hi Bengy09,

Please also see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue still persists in Clean Boot mode, please try the following suggestions to register Media Center components:

1. Click Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, then right-click Command Prompt, in the right click menu, please click Run as administrator.
    2. Type the following commands, press Enter after each line.

regsvr32 atl.dll
    cd C:\WINDOWS\eHome
    ehSched /unregServer
    ehSched /service
    ehRecvr /unregServer
    ehRecvr /service
    ehRec.exe /unregServer
    ehRec.exe /regserver
    ehmsas.exe /unregServer
    ehmsas.exe /regserver

Hope this helps.

Monday, December 21, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I booted into safe mode and WMC now works.
    In normal mode it does not work.
    How do I find the conflicting drivers?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Does the issue occur in Clean Boot mode? (Please refer to the steps for Windows Vista in this knowledge base (KB) article) If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For your reference, I have included the detailed steps below:

NOTE: If you have returned to normal mode, please access Clean Boot first.

A:

+++

1. Click "Start", type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) into the Search box, and press Enter.

2. Click "Services" tab and click to enable all unselected items.

3. Click "Apply", click "OK" and click "Yes" to restart the computer.

4. If the issue reoccurs, the problematic program is one or more of the third-party services we have just enabled.

If the issue does not occur, the program is in the Startup group. In this situation, we can use this method to find it:

B:

+++

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) into the Search box, and press Enter.

2. Click "Startup" tab and click to check the first unselected item.

3. Click "Apply", click "OK" and click "Yes" to restart the computer.

4. Does the problem reoccur? If the problem occurs again, the cause is this selected item.

If not, check the remaining sections of the startup group tab, one at a time, and start the computer after each checkmark is added. When the problem returns, the last check box you selected is loading the program that is causing the problem.

This method will help us find the problematic program. Similarly apply the method above to find it if it is in the third-party services.

Can we find the culprit?

However, if the issue persists in Clean Boot mode, please move on to the following suggestions to check the issue:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:28 AM
  • I turned off all the services and all the start-up programs and the internal modem.
    But the problem still persists.
    How come WMC only works in safe mode (F8)?
    • Marked as answer by Bengy09 Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bengy09 Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Problem is now solved. I simply re-installed the drivers for my Dell monitor.
    I also re-installed the drivers for my Dell printer. It now works.
    You should not have to do this when you upgrade an OS.
    (But then I should have done a clean install).
    • Marked as answer by Bengy09 Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:39 PM