CHKDSK RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had some malicious activity on my server and it seemed to be running out of file handles on a regular basis.  It's a HP Proliant dl385 G1 serverand its a NAS running windows server 2003.  I put the disk in and reformatted the C drive when the server rebooter it went right into the chkdsk gui and said that one of the logical drives in one of the NAS chassis had inconsistency errors.

The error-
    "Checking File System on O:
    The type of the file system is NTFS
    Volume label is Images7

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Checkdsk is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    File verification completed
    There are too many files and directories on this volume for windows to check your disk at full speed.  Make sure the allowed user address space is set to a maximum.
    Index verification stage will be splitted into 3 passes.
    Chkdsk is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    deleting an index entry from index $O of file 25"

Now this has been stuck like this for hours and I don't know if it is doing anything or if its stuck and I need to reboot.

Any advise is much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Tommy
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Tommy,

According to the research, the chkdsk tool will be launched to correct disk corruption when the system finds that the disk is dirty. The time that it needs to run depends on the amount of files on the volume which has problem. If the data is large, such as *TB, it is expected that it needs a rather long period of time to run. So if the volume is large, please wait for more time to see whether chkdsk can complete its job.

If the chkdsk still hang, please perform the following steps to boot the system into Recovery Console and then run chkdsk /r command there:

Step 1: Boot to Recovery Console

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to boot the system into Recovery Console.

How To Use the Recovery Console on a Windows Server 2003-Based Computer That Does Not Start

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;326215

Step 2: Run chkdsk

a. At the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotation marks), and then press Enter.

b. When Chkdsk has finished running, please type "chkdsk /f" (without the quotation marks) to check the disk.

c. Restart the computer to start it in to Normal Mode.

Meanwhile, please also check whether hardware is working normarlly if the chkdsk tool also hangs in Recovery Console.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, October 13, 2008 3:24 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 10:01 AM