none
Installing office 2010 pro plus. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am going to try to install office 2010 pro plus on several computers (5 volume licenses). I would like for some guidance before things get messed up. The computers are not networked but connected peer to peer. All are connected to an unmanaged switch which allows conection to the internet as well. There are several os used (xp and now win 7 pro 64 bit). After reading the info on technet I do understand that a MAK is to be used. After that I need help with how to use the OCT for installation which is said to be required. Also the new win 7 machine has office 2010 trial installed. I would think that it should be uninstalled before attempting the new installation but am unsure if there are any pitfalls. And lastly Where would I find the steps involved in moving outlook express information from an older xp computer to the new Win 7 Pro machine.

The older xp maching also has office 2003 alog with outlook

I am posting on behalf of a non-profit organization where tech support is limited to almost none, and would appreciate any help that you can provide

Thanks

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:26 PM

Answers

• No problem at all!  Typically your MAK key will have more activations associated with it than the number of licenses you've purchased, for situations such as these.  Please download the VAMT 2.0 tool, enter your product key, and check to see how many activations you have left:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

You won't need to deactivate the old computer.  Just set up your new computer, enter the same MAK key, and activate as usual.  Try to enter the MAK key and activate first.  Only if you get the error message that the number of activations has run out, then you will need to call Microsoft support and tell them that you've gotten rid of old computers and now you're using new computers.  They'll either raise the number of activations associated with your current key or give you a new one. 

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, March 4, 2011 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:36 AM

All replies

• I agree MAK would be the best way to go.  Given that you have only five computers, there are some options on installation.  You can choose to go the time-consuming but little effort route, or the more effort but time-saving route.

You can literally go to each computer, pop in the DVD, and install Office.  I'm assuming you're logged in as an administrator during this time.  After Office is installed, click on the File tab | Help | Change product key link.  Enter your MAK key and proceed with activation online.  That's all there is to it.  This is the time-consuming but little effort route.

The OCT is the Office Customization Tool.  This is a tool helpful for admins in larger companies.  When you're installing Office, you may find you're setting the same things on each computer, such as the products you want to install, the product key you want to use, etc.  By using the OCT, you can specify all that at once, and then save your customization file.  Then all users have to do is click setup from a network share, and all the customizations get installed.  You will not need the OCT for MAK.  Other users who've posted were asking about entering the MAK key on the OCT, so when users install Office, the MAK key gets installed.  You can manually install the MAK key by the method I described above.

I would recommend uninstalling the Office trial and rebooting before installing Office.

I'm not sure about the Outlook express information... you may need to post it in the Outlook forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/threads

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Just wanted to thank you for clearing that up for us. One more thing if you don't mind, almost all of our computers are donated and of course their hard drives don't last too long.  After they are replaced and need to have office 2010 reinstalled, what would the procedure be to deactivate and reactivate on a different computer.

Thanks so much for your help.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:47 PM
  • No problem at all!  Typically your MAK key will have more activations associated with it than the number of licenses you've purchased, for situations such as these.  Please download the VAMT 2.0 tool, enter your product key, and check to see how many activations you have left:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

You won't need to deactivate the old computer.  Just set up your new computer, enter the same MAK key, and activate as usual.  Try to enter the MAK key and activate first.  Only if you get the error message that the number of activations has run out, then you will need to call Microsoft support and tell them that you've gotten rid of old computers and now you're using new computers.  They'll either raise the number of activations associated with your current key or give you a new one. 

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, March 4, 2011 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:36 AM