none
how to move an Office 2010 licence RRS feed

• Question

• I have Office Home and Student 2010 - Family Pack's 3 licenses installed on 3 computers.   One of those computers has died.  It's a laptop and the display controller has gone bad - so no simple repair option is available.  I have a new laptop, and have installed Office 2010 on that system using the same license.  It's working and activated, but it is a 'trial' product. 

I would like to find a way to deactivate or unlicense the old, dead laptop and activate or license the new.  Or to put it another way, move the license from the old dead computer to the new.  How do I do this?

bluewingedolive

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:31 PM

Answers

• I have Office 2010 Home and Student/Family pack installed now and it looks like its activated successfully.

What I did was

1. Remove the installed version that was activated as a trial version.
    2. Reinstalled with the DVD I have from the package earlier purchaed
    3. Entered the Product key
    4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I THINK .... I unchecked the box that told it to use the internet for activation....  I did this in preparation for calling MS and asking for help.  But.... once the instalation was complete, the product appeared to be activated with no caveats.

I suspect you are right Tony and the Office 2010 I was using before was one that came with the system as a trial.  Looking in Start->Microsoft Office now, I dont see things like Publisher and Outlook - before I did.

Thanks for the suggestion.

brassie

Friday, June 3, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to Microsoft's EULA, if this is a retail version, we can only install one copy of software on one computer.

If you encounter any problems when trying to activate the Office product, you can contact Microsoft activation center, and they will check it for you. For the detailed information on how to contact Microsoft Activation Center, you can refer to this Microsoft Knowledge base article:

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

Friday, June 3, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Home and Student is, AFAIK, valid for three computers.

There is no de-activation process. If you have problems with activation you need to call the telephone activation centre and explain the situation - and trust to their good nature. I cannot speak with any authority, but I have never heard of genuine cases being refused.

If you have a trial version of Office it is probably something that came with your new laptop and you should have uninstalled it before installing your own version. There may be some clever trick but I would fully uninstall both the trial and your own version, then reinstall your version and try to activate and, if it fails, get on the 'phone.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, June 3, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Nope, sorry Nick.  As I stated in my post this is the 'Family Pack' version and allows 3 licenses, 3 installations.  The problem is that one computers on which one of the licenses is installed has died and I want to install that license on a newly purchased replacement computer.

brassie

Friday, June 3, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I have Office 2010 Home and Student/Family pack installed now and it looks like its activated successfully.

What I did was

1. Remove the installed version that was activated as a trial version.
    2. Reinstalled with the DVD I have from the package earlier purchaed
    3. Entered the Product key
    4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I THINK .... I unchecked the box that told it to use the internet for activation....  I did this in preparation for calling MS and asking for help.  But.... once the instalation was complete, the product appeared to be activated with no caveats.

I suspect you are right Tony and the Office 2010 I was using before was one that came with the system as a trial.  Looking in Start->Microsoft Office now, I dont see things like Publisher and Outlook - before I did.

Thanks for the suggestion.

brassie

Friday, June 3, 2011 3:59 PM