none
Master Schedule in MS Project 2010 no longer shows external links from the sub schedules, but automatically hides the lines?

Dotaz

• We have a Master Schedule (inserted sub-schedules), in MS Project 2010 that has external dependancies amongst the sub schedules.  In the sub schedules we can see the externally linked activities in the individual .mpp files, however in the Master Schedule those external lines are hidden.  I've checked the Advanced options and both boxes "Show external successors" and "Show external predecessors" are checked.   I've also tried collapsing and expanding the summary levels (as this sometimes forced the external links to appear in MS Project 2007).  Also, the current filters are set to display all tasks.  Illustrating the external links in the Master Schedule used to work in MS Project 2010 a few months ago, but it isn't now.  Any ideas on how to view them once again?
    22. května 2012 15:00

Odpovědi

• Lar20121,

I have to fess up with a "duh" to my earlier response to Julie. Sometimes reality doesn't set in until I've thought about something for a while. Simon is correct, in a dynamic master, as long as all the subprojects are in the master "external" tasks are effectively not relevant because links between the subproject tasks show up in the Gantt display. It would make no sense to show "ghost" tasks in addition to the cross-project link lines.

If you believe you saw ghost tasks in the past, I'm guessing you didn't have all subprojects in your master (i.e. there was at least one subproject with external links that was not inserted into the master).

However, just to clarify something. A dynamic master does NOT contain the subproject files. The master only contains pointers to the actual subproject files. You can see this by noting the sequence of ID numbers. Note that only the insertion point summary lines are actually part of the master. The ID sequence for each subproject starts over.

Another point I'd like to make is that having a master/subproject structure on a shared drive is more susceptible to corruption. Glitches in the WAN/LAN connection can quickly ruin your day.

John

23. května 2012 15:04

Všechny reakce

• Hello Lar20121,

I'm sorry -- I'm not seeing this.  With a master project and links between subproject tasks -- all appears as expected.  If you create a quick master project for testing using a couple of subprojects -- does it work as expected?

Julie

22. května 2012 15:22
    Moderátor
  • No it does not,  I created a simple "Bake a Cake" Master schedule with a few external dependancies and it does not show.  I uploading a printscreen that I saved as a Word Doc, but I don't think this message board allows attachments.  Is there some other reason why the external links might not display?

22. května 2012 18:13
  • If you add the "predecessor" field, do the external predecessors appear in the file?  If you right click in the background of the Gantt chart and choose "Bar Styles" do you have a bar style for "external tasks"?

22. května 2012 20:08
    Moderátor
  • Julie,

Do you actually see the external (ghost) tasks at the master level? The last time I remember seeing ghost tasks in a dynamic master was somewhere back in Project 4.0. For every version since, external tasks show up in the individual subproject files but never in the master. It doesn't matter is the option is selected to show them or not and it doesn't matter if each subproject is also open in addition to the master itself.

John

22. května 2012 20:42
  • Lar,

In my experience you would not see external 'ghost' activities in the master plan, but why would you, in the master plan the links are no longer external.

You can see the path to for links in the predecessor/successor column.

Simon

23. května 2012 7:10
  • External 'ghost' activities no longer being external in a Master Schedule makes sense theoretically (because they're all part of one Master .mpp file), but that wasn't the case I was experiencing a few months ago (in MS Project Pro 2010 nor Project Pro 2007).  We have the subprojects (and Master Schedule) on a shared directory, so the paths are so long that one is unable to see them in a visible column (and at times the entry bar cuts off with a "...").  I  know I can see the predecessors & successors in the split view on the bottom to perform analysis or conduct integration meetings when building the schedules; however not all of our Project Managers have Project Pro 2010 (let alone utilize it) and we're not currently in a Project Server environment (we will be by late summer/fall this year). 

What I've been doing over the last few years is making a .pdf copy of the Baseline Master Project.  A useful method I've employed is to change the format of the External Links from light grey to a bold/italicized green (to make it stand out for each resource to more quickly see what they need from another area/.mpp file OR who in another area/.mpp file needs what they produce for their external activities).  It's been just over 5-months since our intial baseline, and as I was preparing the view for a new .pdf for the Project Managers to review, I discovered this issue of now not being able to see the external links. 

This afternoon, I'm going to fiddle around with the Bar Styles idea Julie recommended.

23. května 2012 12:34
  • Lar20121,

I have to fess up with a "duh" to my earlier response to Julie. Sometimes reality doesn't set in until I've thought about something for a while. Simon is correct, in a dynamic master, as long as all the subprojects are in the master "external" tasks are effectively not relevant because links between the subproject tasks show up in the Gantt display. It would make no sense to show "ghost" tasks in addition to the cross-project link lines.

If you believe you saw ghost tasks in the past, I'm guessing you didn't have all subprojects in your master (i.e. there was at least one subproject with external links that was not inserted into the master).

However, just to clarify something. A dynamic master does NOT contain the subproject files. The master only contains pointers to the actual subproject files. You can see this by noting the sequence of ID numbers. Note that only the insertion point summary lines are actually part of the master. The ID sequence for each subproject starts over.

Another point I'd like to make is that having a master/subproject structure on a shared drive is more susceptible to corruption. Glitches in the WAN/LAN connection can quickly ruin your day.

John

23. května 2012 15:04