none
Is there a way to "track changes" from one version of an .mpp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have just started a new job where I am required to make updates to a sub-section of a bigger schedule and report those changes up the chain every other week. The office I am reporting to is asking me to show which tasks have been updated. I have tried the "Compare Projects" report and it is just so complicated to have to filter on every row separately when you are working on a file with tons of tasking. I also prefer to not highlight everything I update during the week because I have to share my screen in meetings and the file starts to look very confusing to the team if it is full of highlighting based on that week's changes.  Is there an easier way to do this?
    Friday, June 21, 2019 4:53 PM

All replies

• SchulteB --

If it were me, I would make a copy of the Gantt Chart view and call it something the Updating Gantt Chart view.  Apply this view when you are ready to start updating the project.  Use cell background formatting to highlight every task that you update.  Show your team the regular Gantt Chart view, and use the Updating Gantt Chart view only when you are updating the project.

Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, June 21, 2019 7:37 PM
  • My initial thought was to use the compare projects button, but it does require to effort to see what has changed.  You don't mention what changes you want to communicate, but another way to do this would be to use a spare baseline, eg BL10, and then create your own filters and custom fields to display any variances to %complete, work, duration, start, finish etc between the current plan and the BL10 plan - effectively the updates you have made. There is some work involved of course, but easy enough to do once you have a handle on using MS Project.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Monday, June 24, 2019 7:47 AM