none
After extending volume the virtual disk is not accessible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Operating system: windows server essential R2

I bought a 8tb disk yesterday. But under "manage storage spaces" I wasn't able to extend the storage space under the dashboard. I found another way under server manager/storage pool. I right click on the virtual disk and extended it from 15 tb to 20 tb. Today, after a reboot, I can't access the disk. But all the disk, and the storage pool appears to be healthy. But under the disk menu in the server manager, it dosent show the total size. Tried to attach images, but the account have to be verified.

Any idea how to solve this? Is it possible to reset the disk size back to 15 tb?

By the way. The 2-way mirror storage space works fine. 

Thanks in advance

Erik

• Edited by erikbjensen Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:49 AM

All replies

• So I figured out that the file system for the storage pool disk have change to "raw". This doesn't look too good. 

My goal is to backup the data before formating the volume. Currently trying out "Testdisk", but the prosess (scaning) takes forever (15 tb).

I know there are some articles on the web regrading problems with raw filesystem. Still I welcome any tips to solve this problem. 

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:30 PM
  • HI
    1 can you detail explain your storage configuration on wse2012r2?

"The server running Windows Server Essentials must be attached to additional physical drives (not just the boot drive), the drives must not host any volumes and must have a minimum capacity of 10 GB. One physical drive is required to create a storage"
    Manage Server Storage in Windows Server Essentials
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/manage-server-storage-in-windows-server-essentials#BKMK_4c

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Hi, 

I'm running one storage pool with two storage spaces:

Parity and Mirror. I have totally 8 disk +(1 ssd boot disk) in total of 34 tb (+ 18 tb, 2 disk, I now had to buy to recover the data which I later will add to the pool when the server is up and running again). I'm running Ntfs. Since I have to start from beginning again, and build up my pool, do you recommend Refs instead?

I have recently (just a couple of weeks ago) upgraded my server hardware (Asus ws 246pro, intel i5, chieftec sata backplane). My problem before was the icybox hdd enclosure got quite unstable. Now I'm running all disk on sata either directly on motherboard or on a controller card. So far this is quite stable.

The strange thing is that I have been using windows server 2012 essential for a least for 5 years. Never experiences this problem. 

Current status with the testdisk software, is that it is still extracting data. I managed to get 10 tb so far. It takes forever (between 20 to 40 hours for 5 tb). But at least it is working.

Edit, it is 23 tb in use not 15 tb. 

Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:21 AM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply .we can refer below document to compare NTFS with Refs
    Resilient File System (ReFS) overview
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/refs/refs-overview

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:02 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, October 20, 2019 10:33 PM