none
24 Hour Calendar in Microsoft Project RRS feed

• Question

• I have assigned the 24 hour calendar to a task.  However, for some reason when I enter a duration of 60 days and a start date of August 6th, it calculates a finish date of August 26th.  What is going on?  I am using the standard calendar for all other tasks which seems to calculate accurately, however, I want to calculate a production timeline based on a 24 hour schedule that doesn't need to account for weekends.  I think I have chose the correct calendar for the task but I don't understand why it isn't calculating a correct finish date.

Thanks,

D

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:24 PM

Answers

• dmalandr,

That's because the definition of a day is 8 hrs so when you entered 60 days into the Duration field you effectively entered 20-8 hour days (60/3). And since Project only allows for one definition of a "day", you need to enter 180 days into the Duration field to get 60 calendar days.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:44 PM

All replies

• dmalandr,

That's because the definition of a day is 8 hrs so when you entered 60 days into the Duration field you effectively entered 20-8 hour days (60/3). And since Project only allows for one definition of a "day", you need to enter 180 days into the Duration field to get 60 calendar days.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:44 PM
  • You can see what the definition of "1 day" is in file, options, schedule. The default is 1 day = 8 hours. This is a necessary conversion factor because "day" is ambiguous but "hours" is not.

You can change the default duration from days to hours, and in your case I would say that you will have to enter durations in hours in order to be explicit and avoid having to mentally make the conversion.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:02 AM