none
Trying Flowchart in MSP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a plan where there are 3 tasks which are dependent. The first two tasks are complete. The 3rd task is basically the decision task. I come to know that my material is not matching as per the financials so I have sent it again to re-inspect (Task 1). I update the Remaining duration by 2 days on Task 1 but since my Task 2 is 100% complete it does not shift the Start date as per the Finish of Task 1.

Is there any way or a formula or a macro to obey the predecessors even though the task is 100% complete? Basically I am looking to create a decision box used in the flowcharts using MSP. Has anybody tried it or have a work around for it.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Monday, February 8, 2016 6:04 AM

All replies

• Amit,

Is not the re-inspection task a new task?  Task 1 (the first time you inspected) is indeed done and history.  If after your decision on Task 3 you have to add a new task, then so be it.  It becomes a new task that is incomplete until it is. It also adds to the overall scope of work as you now have four tasks involved in the overall project.

What I would do at the start of the project, if I envisioned a re-inspection Task might be required, I'd put it into the scope of the project.  If it turns out not to be required, then de-scope it after that decision taken.  If I had a lot of possible re-inspection tasks and needed to model that on a probabilistic basis (for budget setting, for example), then probably would go to using one of the Monte Carlo simulation add-in products but that adds a whole new dimension and complexity to the planning activity.

Project is not a "flow-chart" or "decision tree" type of application.  it's a big calculator of project plans (cost and schedule).  I would recommend you not look too hard to bend Project to your will to make it do decision tree analysis like you are asking.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:08 AM typo fixed.
    Monday, February 8, 2016 6:57 AM