none
Exchange Hybrid with Edge Transport Role RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I am currently setting up an Exchange hybrid environment. The environment consists of Exchange 2010 and I will be introducing Exchange 2016 servers for the Hybrid component.

The existing mail routing does not use Exchange Edge transport and I do not want to edit this routing. I want to add the Exchange 2016 Edge transport servers just for Hybrid mail flow. 

My understanding is that when the Edge sync is setup it will try and change the default routing for internet email to go through the edge transport servers, however I do not want this to occur. 

Is anyone able to confirm how I setup the edge sync without having the default routing of internet email change, and only configure the edge transport servers to route hybrid email? 

Thanks, 

Mike.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi mike_00,

According to the official document: Edge Transport servers with hybrid deployments

When you add an Edge Transport server to your hybrid deployment, it communicates with EOP on behalf of the internal Exchange servers. The Edge Transport server acts as a relay between the internal Exchange servers and EOP for outbound messaging from the on-premises organization to the Exchange Online organization. The Edge Transport server also acts as a relay between the internal Exchange servers for inbound messaging from the Exchange Online organization to the on-premises organization.

If you add an Edge Transport server to your hybrid deployment, you don't need to route mail sent between on-premises users and internet recipients through it. Only messages sent between the on-premises and Exchange Online organizations will be routed through the Edge Transport server.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:22 AM
  • Hi Joyce, 

Thanks for the reply, I have reviewed that documentation already. I am trying to understand specifically how I run the edge sync commands without interrupting or changing the exiting internet mail flow routes. The documentation states that it will update the default send connector to use the edge servers which I do not want. I only want to use the edge servers for the hybrid traffic. 

Mike.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

If you have established an Edge subscription, I'm afraid it's hard to change the mailflow as you expected.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2020 8:22 AM
  • Hi, 

There is a parameter on the New-EdgeSubscription command that prevents it from creating a new internet send connector (below). Can I not set this to $false and then manually create the Hybrid Send connector? 

-CreateInternetSendConnector

The CreateInternetSendConnector parameter specifies whether to create the Send connector to connect to the Internet. The default value is $true. The Send connector address space is set to all domains (*), the Edge Transport server is set as the source server, and DNS routing is enabled. This parameter is only used when you run the command on the Hub Transport server.

Mike. 

Monday, June 29, 2020 9:43 PM
  • Hi mike,

You may take a try, if you set the CreateInboundSendConnector parameter to the value $false when you create an Edge Subscription. This allows you to manually configure a Send connector from the Edge Transport server to the Exchange organization.

Please also refer to the official document about Create a dedicated Send connector to only send messages to the Exchange organization

Regards,

Joyce Shen

• Marked as answer by mike_00 Thursday, July 2, 2020 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:11 AM