none
the resource is assigned outside the original dates for task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on PS 2010 SEM. There is a Project A saved on the server. i copy all the lines of Project A to a newly created Project B and save it on the server. After some days I observe is that the duration is becoming Zero. (All tasks are of Fixed Duration type). When I change the Work for a Task in Project B, it gives me an error, "the resource is assigned outside the original dates for task XYZ in Project A".

I fail to understand that why it is referring to Project A when I am working on Project B?

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

• Edited by Amit.Wairkar Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:43 AM Replaced Actual Work by Work
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

Doing a copy paste is never a good idea, particularly with Project Server. I'd suggest you to delete the copied assignment and recreate them from scratch. Then this message is always due to fixed diration tasks, when users enter actual outside of the task duration. Since the duration is fixed, there is a conflict in the instructions you give.

Finally, your project might be corrupted due to the copy paste. You can try the save for sharing method for repairing.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

I have deleted the tasks and recreated it. Worked for me.

If I do a Save for Sharing. Cant the other person alter my Actuals? We have the Actual Entries through the timesheet only (SEM) and not through Project. 

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:35 AM