Unable to add Indexing Locations Win Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new hp dl380 g9 server... very nice.  I have Hyper-V Server 2019 host installed on bare metal, hosting 2 vm Windows Server Standard 2019s; one the Domain Controller, the other File, Fax, Print, IIS, RDSH, etc.  I am trying to index drives that reside on the bare metal.  I understand that Windows Search indexing is incompatible with anything with the RDSH role.  I have installed the Windows Search Services on the DC as the only other role.  I am being denied access to any of the Index settings on the DC.  The "Policy is in effect" dialog presents stating "Modifying index location is disabled by a policy", in addition, under Modify... "Show all locations" is disabled.  I configured the GPO to allow "Indexer data location", and disabled "Prevent adding user-specified locations to the All Locations menu", "Prevent adding UNC locations to index from Control Panel", "Prevent indexing certain paths" and "Prevent customization of indexed locations in Control Panel".

I ran gpupdate /force; the policies update; log out and back in, same issue; restart, same issue.  Double checked that the policy was indeed inherited with rsop.msc.  The correct policies are applied and still cannot add or change any settings.

I have Windows Search Service running and still nothing.

Do I need to run the Search Service on the bare metal? and if so, how would you correctly configure that?

Friday, December 18, 2020 10:45 PM

Answers