none
Windows 2012 essentials R2 backup of server is this accessable if disk is lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, What can a person do with a backup made within Windows 2012 essentials R2?

I have someone from who is the USB disk with a full backup of a server is stolen.
    Can this person who has the USB disk access files on the disk (admin password is not known by this person)?

How serious is this when a disk is lost/stolen?
    I know that he (owner of server) can enable bitlocker on the server.
    And I know that I can use other software like Acronis or SolarwindsMSP to create encrypted backups.

Regards Marc

• Edited by MarcH123 Friday, October 4, 2019 2:37 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 2:22 PM

All replies

• You forgot to describe how the backup was created. If you use the internal backup engine, the backup is not encrypted and of course anything is accessible. You don't need a password for the data to be fully accessible, since there are easy methods to overcome log on passwords if encryption is not being used.
    Saturday, October 5, 2019 11:23 AM
  • >>Can this person who has the USB disk access files on the disk (admin password is not known by this person)?

What tools do you use to backup it? As Bagitman said, if you use an internal backup tool, the backup will not be encrypted and you can access anything.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Hi,
    This is Daniel and wish you all the best!
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘ Propose answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the propose answer as you wish.
    BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:10 AM