none
WS2016 Essentials/Cannot add Windows 7 PC to domain. Get the following message. An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. RRS feed

• Question

• Just to document this for those in the future.....

I originally found this locked thread and it solved my issue:

Cannot add Windows 7 PC to domain. Get the following message. An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed.

>>> Salukis1974 wrote: "When trying to add a new Windows 7 machine to a network I get the following error message..."An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain."  I don't have any problems adding XP machines to the domain and not sure why I can't add a Windows 7 machine.  I am able to get on the internet on the Windows 7 PC but can't add it to the domain.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. <<<

It was later solved:

>>> Salukas1974 wrote: We finally got the computer to join the domain by doing the following:  in the network adapter IP 4 properties, set the DNS ip address to that of the domain controller, NOT the DNS.  Then went back to the computer properties to add the computer to the domain, it was added successfully.  After rebooting the machine and logging into the domain account, go back to the IP 4 properties and reset the DNS to automatically get the IP address. <<<

It is explained to set the IP 4 properties back to "automatic".  Though it seemed to still be working after setting the IP 4 back to "automatic", In hindsight I thought maybe this would break the connection. 

Many hours later, clicking on "Shared Folders" link on Launch Pad or within a dedicated logged in folder, I receive the error:

After much digging online I could not find why this had happened. 

I also thought that maybe the 8MB Windows 7 Security Update from 2015 popped up (KB300043) which I installed that day might be the culprit.  I removed it and there was no change. 

Curious this update pops up for installation later in the day after configuring WS2016 Server Essentials Experience Connector/Launchpad software.

I then went back and change the IP address of the Windows 7 machine back to Static entered the IP address as given before, and pointed DNS back to the Domain Controller.  After closing it out, I could now click on "Shared Folders" from Launchpad and it opened with no errors.

Explain that one.

Thank You

Monday, May 4, 2020 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI
    1.“I then went back and change the IP address of the Windows 7 machine back to Static entered the IP address as given before, and pointed DNS back to the Domain Controller.  After closing it out, I could now click on "Shared Folders" from Launchpad and it opened with no errors.
    if you do above you mentioned solution ,will you able to add your win7 to the domain ?
    in general ,we need to download connector application from the website of wse server then add the client computer to AD domain of wse server .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:46 AM
  • In my case this work around allowed the Win7 machine to join the new domain of WS2016 Standard which I am currently running on a Lenovo ThinkServer TD350.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:51 PM
  • HI
    Thanks for sharing your solution.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 8, 2020 2:46 AM