none
Project Pro 2016 not scheduling dependent task as expected after the predecessor is complete

Question

• I have a project underway, and a dependent task is not getting scheduled as expected after the predecessor is completed.

Any help appreciated !

Project Status Date = 10/20/17.  All uncompleted work was rescheduled to start after 10/20/17 (which is why some tasks look like they are taking a long time).    Today is 10/26/17.

This week, we completed Task 32 (it was completed on 10/24).   However, the subsequent task (Task 33) did not pull-in its Finish Date. 

There are only 5 hours of work remaining on Task 33 (each person is dedicated 25%), so I was expecting task 33 should be pulled-in to this week (Nancy with 4 hours of work @ 25% utilization should take ~2 days to complete entire task).

Instead, the schedule for Task 33 remains December 12, 2017.  Far off the mark.

Unfortunately, TASK INSPECTOR did not reveal any hints:

I was thinking there may be some PTO entered or something, but checking the resource calendars I did not see any.

What I did notice on TASK USAGE for Task 33, is the work is scheduled way out in December.  I expected to see this since the Gantt showed these dates.  However, I am not sure why the work for these two people is scheduled out in Dec? 

How come MS Project did not pull-in the dates after Task 32 was marked complete?

Any hints on what else to look at are greatly appreciated !

- John

• Edited by JohnH4 Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:29 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:42 PM

Answers

• John,

If I may add an observation. Task 33 shows a completion of 58% which means it has an actual start date. Once a task is started any predecessor impact is null-and-void (i.e. no longer applicable). Further, even if the same resources were assigned to both task 32 and task 33, completion of task 32 will have no impact on assignments or work for task 33.

If I understand correctly your question focuses on an interaction between task 32 and task 33 but there simply is none for the reasons cited above.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by JohnH4 Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:08 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:32 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but its hard to see the images.   It looks like task 34 has a line thru it and means INACTIVE. Inactive tasks are ignore during scheduling and calculations.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:49 PM
  • I captured a smaller section of the screen and reposted images.

I also corrected the row numbers in the text to match the images.

- John

Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:20 PM
  • John,

If I may add an observation. Task 33 shows a completion of 58% which means it has an actual start date. Once a task is started any predecessor impact is null-and-void (i.e. no longer applicable). Further, even if the same resources were assigned to both task 32 and task 33, completion of task 32 will have no impact on assignments or work for task 33.

If I understand correctly your question focuses on an interaction between task 32 and task 33 but there simply is none for the reasons cited above.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by JohnH4 Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:08 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Hi John

Thank you for that !    You are correct, that is exactly what is happening.

I even created a small test project to double check, and sure enough you nailed it!

Just a follow up thought (semi related)....is there a ms project setting or some technique to allow already started successor tasks "fill in" the newly found white space after a predecessor finishes earlier than expected? 

- John

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:08 PM
  • John,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

With regard to your other request, sorry, Project can only do so much. Remember it is just a tool and has zero intelligence so "knowing" when to "fill in white space" is beyond the application's capability. That's reserved for the human element (i.e. project manager). Oh yes, you could probably develop an algorithm to do it with some VBA but it would take some effort.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:43 PM
  • Thanks.

It seems in order to do this, I have to remove any work on the successor Task for it to slide backward in the calendar.  Then I have to re-add the work.

Obviously with TIMESHEETS, this is difficult.

I'll look at other fields and see if I can determine something.  And perhaps a report to highlight these white spaces so I can see them ahead of time and always be looking for opportunities to pull-in.

Thank you again !

- John

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:52 PM
  • John,

You can edit work as much as needed to get a more efficient workflow, as long is the editing is for uncompleted work only. If I understand correctly timesheets represent actual work data, and therefore should never be edited except for perhaps a clerical entry error.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:15 PM