none
PWA: change project start date RRS feed

• Question

• How do I change a Project Start Date in PWA?  I've tried going to the Project Information page, clicking Edit, then altering the date.  I then click Save, answer OK to the message telling me that changing the start date will shift project tasks, then wait for the Publish and Save to complete before Closing and Checking In.  However, the Project Start date reverts back to the original date.  What am I doing wrong?

Steve

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:16 PM

All replies

• Check whether there are any constraints on the tasks.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Yes there are - what difference should that make?
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Steve,

Although you are free to set constraints, they are your worst enemy in planning. They should not be used to plan project tasks. Usually when someone sets a constraint is because there's a "fixed date" on a agreement or something like that. Then you should create deadlines on the tasks, not constraints since they will not let you see delays or put forward a task to reflect reality on your project.

Best regards,

Rene Alvarez

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by 'constraints' then - I thought it meant setting up relationships between tasks so that, for example, one task can't start until another has finished. 

I can see that setting fixed dates that can't be altered can cause problems, although I'm not sure how I can even do that in PWA.

By playing with my project, I have at least got it so that it moves the project Start Date to match the earliest task start date in the project (but I'm not sure what I did).  I can't get an earlier start date to stick by editing the Project Information page, but I can live with that.   

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:28 PM