none
Exporting project plan to excel

Question

• Hi guys,

I've been asked to look at MS Project 2010 so we can decide to use it or not.

I'm having one particular problem which is really irretating, which is that I can't transfer the project to Excel.

I follow the wizard correctly but once the wizard is complete, the excel sheet appears to be empty. The only thing changed from the blank excel sheet is the sheet name which is 'A266FF2A662E84b639DA'.

Any idea guys? I really need to get past these issues so we can deside.

Greatly appreciated

Zahir

Monday, January 10, 2011 1:29 PM

Answers

• I used to have this problem and have explored a bunch of elaborate programming solutions. Then I discovered cut/paste. It works well MS Project 2010 to Excel 2007.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of excel you are exporting your project  file to? although it has the support to export o excel 97-2003. And while export, do you select excel template or selected data?

btw, its working smooth at my end. But let us know and we will try to help you.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Proposed as answer by Jasmau Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:01 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Khurram,

I'm exporting to Excel 2007. I select 'Selected Data'.

Zahir

Monday, January 10, 2011 1:50 PM
  •  

Hello Zahir,

You can check which all File format Project 2010 could let you save and open files :

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/file-formats-supported-by-project-2010-HA010373155.aspx

A format used by the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet program. This format uses the .xls, .xlsx, .xslb, and .xlsm extensions. You can export field data to these formats, but you cannot export an entire project.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alternative method of Export to EXL could be :

The steps below will allow you to export to Excel and retain the outline structure and bold formatting of MS Project.

1. Click on <File <Save As
    2. Note where the file is being saved
    3. Under the Save As Type, select Web Page
    4. Click on Save.  This starts the Export Wizard
    5. Choose Next, then click on Existing Map, then Next
    6. Click on Export to HTML using Standard Template
    7. Click on Next until it is no longer available, then click on Finish
    8. Browse to where the file was saved
    9. Change the file extension from .html to .xls*
    10. The plan will now open in Excel and the outline structure will be intact.

To show the file extension you may need to explore Windows, then choose Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and uncheck "Hide exstensions for known file types".

Sapna S
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

I don't get the option to save as 'Web Pages'.

Zahir

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Sorry Zahir I wrote steps of Project 2003.

Anyways I tried exporting Project 2010 to EXL 2007. 2 points to consider while doing an export

1. While doing Save As, always select .xlsx (Excel Workbook) and not .xlsb (Excel Binary Workbook)
    2. While exporting the mapping table should be proper, else data will not get populated, try with the Project Excel template while creating the map, does that works ? if it works >> then in next pass >> try simple Task and resource migration and check if that works

See if it resolves. 

Sapna S
    Monday, January 10, 2011 6:41 PM
  • How do I properly map the excel sheet?
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hello Zahir,

With any version of Project, you can always use VBA to export whatever data you need. This is the most flexible and automated approach but it require knowledge of Project VBA. Also look at : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178965.aspx

Certain tips you may catch up on coding just for add on : http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter

Sapna S
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hi guys,

I follow the wizard correctly but once the wizard is complete, the excel sheet appears to be empty. The only thing changed from the blank excel sheet is the sheet name which is 'A266FF2A662E84b639DA'.

Zahir 

I experienced the exact symptoms when doing Save As XLSX from MS Project Standard 2010 and opening the file in Excel 2003 SP3. 

If you find an answer please share it.

In the meantime I was able to work around the problem by saving in the older XLS format in MS Project.

For what it's worth, I was able to Save As XLSX from MS Project Standard 2010 previously, but after my laptop was reimaged recently that functionality was broken.

Steve

Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:11 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.

This problem only appear on my Windows 7 machine.

I have another machine with windows XP, Project 2010 and excel 2007

I save a project in .xlsx and it works fine

On my windows 7 machine

I save the same project in .xlsx and i get an empty spread sheet named AF266....

I save the same project in .xls and it works fine.

The problem seems to be coming from windows 7

John

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:04 PM
  • I have the same problem as well.

I want to export milestone dates from MSproject 2010 running on Windows 7 to .xlsx.

I get the same exact same sheet name as my honorable colleagues above.

It will export successfully to MSProject 97-2003 format (.xls) but not to .xlsx.

It would appear to be a real bug.

Best regards,

Ken

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Zahir -

Are you still facing this issue? I tried save the schedule to .xlsx using the same approach and did not have issues. I used Project 2010 Professional on Windows 7 (Starter).

Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I also have the same issue, it gives me a blank sheet in excel and does not even give me the option to save it as an .xls file.  If I pick excel 97-2003, it comes back with an error message saying it cannot save in that lower version.  I think this is microsoft bug that they need to fix.
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I have the same issue. Working with MS Project is like trying to squeeze an ice; when you think you got it it slips out on the other side. 
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:06 PM
  • I'm having the same issue

File Savc As> Excel Workbook (*.xlsx)= Excel file 7kb with a tab named A266FF2A662E84b639DA.

Workaround is to save in a different format.

File Save As>Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls) = Excel file >3Mb with all the data in.

I'm running MSProject 2010 v(14.0.4751.1000) MSO (14.0.5128.5000)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:20 PM
  • I used to have this problem and have explored a bunch of elaborate programming solutions. Then I discovered cut/paste. It works well MS Project 2010 to Excel 2007.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Has anyone ever figured out an answer to the original question?  I'd like to be able to export the tasksheet view of my project to Excel, preferably linking it.

Dan

Dan

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Dan,

As far as I know, no. This issue was reported to a Microsoft representative in November 2011. The response was,

I've tried several different ways to reproduce this problem... but have not been able to see an issue.  If anything, I might expect saving as an XLSX type file might have more issues than the 2000 - 2003 XLS format.  But either way, I haven't seen the problem.  I see a posting in the last hour or so where one user upgraded from Project 2003 to 2010 and then saw the problem.  I'll have to try that as well.  But, I have tried the variations of installing Project 2010 first and then Office 2003 and vise versa.

If you can repeatedly reproduce this problem with a known set of conditions in a sample file, it might help to track down the root cause.

I'm a little concerned with your statement of wanting to link Excel to Project. Although linking Excel data to Project can be done, it generally is not recommended due to the increased chance for file corruption.

John

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Well--I did actually, long ago, upgrade from Project 2003 to 2010.  Interestingly, I just found that I'm able to export to an xls file (instead of xlsx), so maybe there's some relationship to the upgrade there.

Dan

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:36 PM