none
Task dates jump when assigning a resource

Question

• Hi All,

We have a new implementation of PWA - and I am a full admin. When I (Ilai) assign tasks to Resources that are already booked, it presents me with a little red man that i can right click and see the over allocation/conflict.

My colleague, Paul, who has 'normal' PM rights, has a different experience. When assigning a task, the dates jump further in the future. See screenshots below, but an example is as below:

State 1

Task A

Duration/Work: 1 day 

Start: 13/05/19

Finish: 13/05/2019

When assigning an enterprise resource to that task, a resource that has already been assigned a task on that day, Project Desktop automatically assigns the task to the future as below

State 2

Task A

Duration/Work: 1 day 

Start: 16/05/19

Finish: 17/05/2019

Issue

This seemingly automatic reallocation does not give any prompts, or the little red man on the task, or anything. I believe it may be permissions related, but i can see which permission needs to be amended for Paul or his User Group in PWA.

Permissions on that group:

Ilai S :)

Thursday, May 2, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Ilai,

There are 2 things. 

Seeing or not the red man. When you open MS Project Desktop, you have a dialog box to select the tenant (prod, dev, test, training...) where you can also select to load or not the resource assignments over all projects. If the PM has not checked this checkbox, he will only see overallocations on his project, not over all the projects.

Then for the task being automatically moved to avoid overallocation, it might be due to the leveling set to AUTOMATIC instead of MANUAL in the leveling options (tab RESOURCES).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:47 PM
  • Ilai S --

I suspect that what your colleague is seeing is due to a leveling option he has erroneously set.  Ask him to click the Resource tab to display the Resource ribbon, and then to click the Leveling Options button.  In the Resource Leveling dialog, I suspect that he has selected the Automatic option, which would be the source of his problem.  I NEVER recommend using the Automatic option, as this causes the user to lose control of the leveling process.  Instead, I ALWAYS recommend using the Manual option, which gives the user total control of the leveling process.  Ask him to select the Manual option, to click the OK button, and then to try assigning resources again.

Also, I believe your PMs have selected a setting in the Login dialog that you will not find to be helpful.  When you launch Microsoft Project, you should see a Login dialog.  In the Login dialog, DESELECT the Load Summary Resource Assignments checkbox, and then click the OK button.

If your PMs are NOT seeing a Login dialog when they launch Microsoft Project, they would need to click the File tab and then click the Info tab in the Backstage.  On the Info page, click the Manage Accounts pick list button and select the Configure Accounts item.  In the lower left corner of the Project Web App Accounts dialog, select the Choose an Account option, and then click the OK button.  Then ask them to exit and relaunch Microsoft Project, and then complete the steps in the previous paragraph.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Got it! Advised the Project Manager to not use leveling on their local Project desktop and just rely upon the scheduling within PWa on the o365 instance. Thanks Dale!

Ilai S :)

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:59 PM