none
Windows 10 WSUS clients error 403 when downloading updates from Microsoft Update RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

Check your communication status to Windows update server list in below,

Try doing following,

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if you are able to access Windows Update services and also make sure that the following services are started. If it is not started follow the below mentioned steps: 

a. Press Windows key + R, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in start run box and press Enter

b. Locate Windows Update service.

c. Right click on the Windows Update service and select Properties.

d. In Start-up type, select Automatic from the list.

e. Click Start under Service status.

f. Click OK.

g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service.

If these steps do not help to resolve the issue, then you may proceed with the step mentioned below and check.

Method 2

Step by step instructions to get the issue fixed.

a) Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).

b) On the open Command Prompt window copy and paste the commands (all at once)

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

c) Wait for the process to complete.

d) Close the Command Prompt.

Now, try to install Windows Updates again and check if it helps

(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-10-service-registration-is-missing-or/a2bfb3c3-665f-4f22-92d9-cf82f0a950be)

Monday, September 16, 2019 12:46 AM
  • Monday, September 16, 2019 12:49 AM
  • Check your communication status to Windows update server list in below,

And add the following sites:

• http://dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com
    • https://dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:04 AM
  • No offence to the suggestions above (all tried before) but WSUS is working fine.  Its the client connection to windows update with WSUS configured.  We do not enforce driver updates with WSUS, but for single use case it is useful to pull from MS.  Access to the URL's are allowed through our proxy and i cannot see anything obvious in the firewall logs either.  A colleague informs me that you cannot use connect to Microsoft update if WSUS is in use, but i'm sure I have used this in the past.  The response is coming back from the server at the other end.  

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

PH

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:47 PM
  • A colleague informs me that you cannot use connect to Microsoft update if WSUS is in use, but i'm sure I have used this in the past.  

The dual scan behavior is automatically enabled if the following group policies are set:

• Specify intranet Microsoft update service location (i.e. WSUS)
    • Either of the policies belonging to Windows Update for Business:
      -  Select when Feature Updates are received
      -  Select when Quality Updates are received

When Dual Scan is enabled, the WU client scans WSUS and WU, but it only downloads Windows patches from Microsoft’s update servers (Windows Update), effectively ignoring updates on WSUS servers in the ‘Windows’ product family.

To enable WSUS updates only, make sure that all Windows Update for Business options are set to Not Configured and that the Turn off access to all Windows Update features policy under System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication settings is Enabled.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:09 AM
  • We are not using Windows Update for Business yet.  Does this include driver updates?

PH

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:02 AM
  • We are not using Windows Update for Business yet.  Does this include driver updates?

As far as I know, this should be irrelevant to the updated category.

Let's summarize what you are experiencing now: you can get updates via WSUS, but if you check for updates with [Check online for updates from Microsoft Update], you will get a 0x80244018 error, right?

If you have excluded the Microsoft endpoints mentioned above from being able to access normally, then what is the update you are downloading when you encounter this problem, providing its KB number or name will help with problem analysis.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Yes this is correct.

PH

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Hi Pauly,

Sorry for the late reply.
    I noticed that this is a Bluetooth driver released by Intel, is it? According to the error given by the system, this is indeed a network connection problem, or it may be caused by the prevention of third-party anti-virus software and network monitoring programs. So it is difficult to determine the only reason.

If the goal is to complete the installation, I have the following suggestions:

1. Continue to troubleshoot third-party anti-virus and network issues.
    2. Obtain this driver installation package from Microsoft Update Catalog for manual installation.
    3. This update is imported into WSUS via WSUS's "Import Update" feature and then approved.

These are just some of my suggestions and I hope to help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi Yic,

Thanks for taking the time to help me resolve the issue.  The example above was just for example, and not what we specifically want to install.  I get that I can do options 2 & 3 (I have done this before), but want to make use of the ease of using MS update for driver updates.  Additionally, I also get the same error when trying to install additional language packs.  For example:

DISM.exe /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Language.Basic~~~zh-TW~0.0.1.0

Now it starts to download but errors at 26.2 % with 0x80244018

DISM Log:

Error in operation: (null) (CBS HRESULT=0x80244018) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error

2019-09-24 12:11:55, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=11528 TID=2260 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80244018)

2019-09-24 12:11:55, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=11528 TID=2260 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x80244018)

2019-09-24 12:11:55, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=11528 TID=2260 Failed to install capability. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_AddCapability(hr:0x80244018)

2019-09-24 12:11:55, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=11528 TID=2260 Failed while processing command add-capability. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80244018)

2019-09-24 12:11:55, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=11528 TID=2260 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine

2019-09-24 12:11:55, Error DISM DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80244018

I cant help but think its all related to network/proxy/wsus configuration.  I doubt its anti-virus related but will continue to investigate.

Cheers

Paul

PH

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Hi Paul,

You are welcome.
    I agree with you that the current situation is closely related to the network or agent.
    Looking forward to your research results.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:26 AM