none
Timephased Earned Value (BCWP) calculation in microsoft project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Microsoft project seems to be calculating the timephased earned value differently depending on how you enter the data when using physical % complete as the earned value method. Below are both methods described:

• If you enter the status date first, then the physical % complete, and finally the actual work (hours), BCWP is calculated starting from the start date of the task. Image below for reference (notice the BCWP calculated on Monday and Tuesday when there is no Actual Work)

• If you enter the status date first, then the actual work (hours), and finally the physical % complete, BCWP is calculated starting from the minimum date that contains actual work. Image below for reference (notice the BCWP remained zero on Monday and Tuesday when there is no Actual Work)

So how should BCWP timephased data be distributed vs time? Should BCWP start on the "Start Date" or on the "Baseline Start Date"?

Thanks

George

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

First of all, the Physical % complete should not impact any of the EVM indicators. It does not trigger any actual work since this is a subjective measure.

Then BCWP is based on the actual work even if it is calculated with the baseline cost, thus it must start with the start date (actual start date I should say) and not the baseline start date.

This is why I don't understand your first screenshot: if you don't have actual cost, you should not have BCWP on Monday and Tuesday. Can you insert also the actual cost row? You have no actual work, but actual cost might haev been manually added.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:57 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your input.

To answer your question, the actual cost row shows zero for Monday and Tuesday.

The issue is that Microsoft project is not consistent in distributing BCWP over time. It depends on how the user inputs the data. If you insert timephased actual work first and then update the physical % complete, Microsoft project will distribute the BCWP between "Actual Start Date" and Status Date (second screenshot in first post). However, if you update the physical % complete first, the BCWP is directly calculated even if the user does not enter actual work at all. This BCWP is calculated from the "Start Date" up until the Status Date (first screenshot in first post). This inconsistent behavior from Microsoft project is what confused me about how the BCWP should be distributed: should it flow between the "Actual Start" and "Actual Finish" dates or between the "Baseline Start" and "Baseline Finish" dates?

Thanks again

George

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:40 PM
  • "if you update the physical % complete first, the BCWP is directly calculated even if the user does not enter actual work at all"

I can't reproduce this behavior, the Physical % complete has no impact of actual work/cost which is used for BCWP.

For your second question, actual start date and finish are considered for calculating BCWP. If you move the start date of the date, the BCWP will follow:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Are you sure you have Earned Value Method set to "physical % complete". Microsoft project calculates BCWP correctly when Earned Value Method is set to "% complete" but the issue arises when Earned Value Method is set to "physical % complete".

Thanks again!

George

• Edited by geo_d Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:29 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Did you get the chance to try the scenario with Earned value method set to physical % complete? Please share your findings if you were able to do so. Thanks

George

Friday, November 10, 2017 5:40 AM
  • George, Gillaume,

Were there ever any further exchanges on this topic?  I'm having similar problems to George's.  In my case the BCWP is being time-phased from Start to Status Date.  This is on Project 2013, btw.

The Four-Eyed fish

Sunday, August 11, 2019 4:13 PM