none
Volumes larger than 16777216 megabytes cannot be protected. RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a server running Server 2012 R2 Standard with a 21TB volume that I need to backup. Unfortunately it appears that WSB isn't capable of backing up a volume of this size. I've searched and have not been able to find any definite volume limit in the documentation.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Dewayne

Monday, May 11, 2015 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Dewayne,

It is not a Windows Server Backup limitation but a file system limitation - we cannot create single file larger than 2TB. However WSB creates VHD files for backup so in backup huge data, the VHD will hit the limitation.

If you seperate data into several parts (with all smaller than 2TB), backup should work.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:00 AM
  • This is Server 2012 R2 not 2008 R2. 

The file size limitation of a .vhdx file is 64TB.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:50 PM
  • Nobody else? I sure hope I'm not the only one to have run into this...  

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:20 AM
  • Hi Dewayne,

It is not a Windows Server Backup limitation but a file system limitation - we cannot create single file larger than 2TB. However WSB creates VHD files for backup so in backup huge data, the VHD will hit the limitation.

If you seperate data into several parts (with all smaller than 2TB), backup should work.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Dear Sir/Madam,

How to exceed the limitation of file system? Say, a 64TB VHDX file.

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:40 AM
  • Hi Dewayne,

Thank you for the correct.

I noticed that it is a 21TB volume. Please test to backup the folders and files inside that volume instead of backing up the whole volume to see the result. 

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:07 AM
  • I need to protect the entire volume so that I can get incremental backups of my Hyper-V machines. If I backup the Hyper-V machines individually it performs a full backup every night which is time consuming and impacts performance during working hours.

I need to know if this "16TB Limit" is some sort of artificial limit, bug, or if there is a valid reason why I can't backup my server. As I said I cannot find anything in the MS documentation that actually says there is a 16TB limit other than the error I pasted.

See: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj614621.aspx

"Ability to backup volumes greater than 2 terabytes (TB) and with 4 K sector sizes." and "Backup can now support larger volumes and hard drive sectors."

Dewayne

Sunday, May 24, 2015 3:49 PM
  • A year on, I've just run into this issue.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for volumes larger than 16TB yet?

Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Running into this same issue.

• Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition
    • 22TB and 63TB volumes
    • Partitions are GPT
    • 16384 bytes per cluster
    • vss working without issues (have vss shadow storage and snapshots for 63TB volumes)

If anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear them....

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:09 PM