none
Microsoft Project 2016 vs 2013 - get difference result when calculate the project

Question

• Hi,

I am using Microsoft Project 2016. When i calculate the project (F9), at the column %Complete i will get difference result with my colleague that using 2013 version. I don't know why it changing because all the document is the same. the difference is just 2016 and 2013 version. 

Can anyone help?

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Molly,

Please ensure that all of the options (there are 100+ different options, many of which relate to scheduling) are the same between the two different versions.  Please look in file | options...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Friday, February 17, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi Ben,

I've already check the option between mine and my friends. there is no difference between option in 2013 and 2016. is there any other places that could be changing automatically?  

Monday, February 20, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Do you by any chance have levelling set to automatic on one of them?
    Monday, February 20, 2017 6:57 AM
  • There shouldn't be.  I have both 2013 and 2016 on my PC.  If you can share the file with me and give me steps to replicate the differences you are experiencing then I can test on my computer.

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:10 AM
  • I'm sorry. After i consult with my boss, he said it's a private n confidential document. i'll try again comparing both 2013 and 2016 file | options.... thank you

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:18 AM
  • Molly_1,

Pardon my bumping in but I have a suggestion. I fully understand the confidentiality issue with your "live" file. However, if you can create a non-sensitive dummy file that acts the same way, (i.e. % Complete field shows different values between Project 2013 and Project 2016), then you can send that to Ben and I am confident he will be able to resolve your issue.

Just a suggestion.

John

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:38 PM
  • John's right of course you could remove all task names, reset all resource names to blank, remove any cost values and baselines etc and then it'll be fairly generic!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:01 PM
  • so to create a non-sensitive dummy file i have to remove all task names, reset all resource names to blank, remove any cost values and baseline? i'm new with this. 
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:04 AM
  • Hi Molly, that would just about do it. Alternatively rename each task to task 1, task 2 and resources to Res 1, Res 2 etc... 

that alone would ensure that the file would be anonymous, but setting costs on resources to 0 and removing any manually added costs would go a step further.  removing the baselines will remove any costs that were associated with activities when you took the baseline.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:19 AM
  • i'm done changing the task name and cost. so now how to share the document to you? should i put a link in a dropbox?
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:22 PM
  • That would work.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:40 PM
  • thanks Molly.  Can you email me (benatapplepark.co.uk) with instructions of how to reproduce the problem.  Let's take this offline for now, and then we can post the results as we find them.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Hi Molly,

I had a look at this and whichever way I try I get the same results as you do, which is that 2013 calculates this summary task at 29%, and 2016 at 27%.   I did some further work and verified that this is the ONLY task in the plan that is different between the two plans, and so must a difference between the calculation engines in 2013/2016.  It's worth noting that 2010 calculates this as 29% too.

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Ben,

Thanks for posting your results for the rest of us to see.

Since percent complete for summary lines is calculated based on summing up and dividing the subtask actual durations and total durations, do you see any difference? Maybe that will help find out what's going on.

Just a thought.

John

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Hi John,

Same plan, different results in the two products; conclusion is a change in the scheduling engine.

Friday, March 3, 2017 11:44 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for the conclusion. But i still dont understand, to solve this problem i have to check the scheduling engine in 2016?

Monday, March 6, 2017 12:43 AM
  • or i have to wait for the microsoft team ?
    Monday, March 6, 2017 3:52 AM
  • Hi Molly,

I don't believe this is something you can solve.  Your option is to raise a support ticket with Microsoft.

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi Ben,

How to raise a support ticket with Microsoft? I cant do my work until i solve this. I've been stuck with this problem for one month. At least i know i cant solve it. Thank you.

Monday, March 6, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Hi Molly, I would start here. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/

Monday, March 6, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi Ben,

How to raise a support ticket with Microsoft? I cant do my work until i solve this. I've been stuck with this problem for one month. At least i know i cant solve it. Thank you.

Hello Molly,

How is your progress on this matter so far ? Thanks for any feedback.

Kind Regards,

Ismet

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:29 AM
  • Hi Ismet,

I still didnt get the solution

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:10 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback.

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Friday, September 22, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Molly Buen Día:

Tengo el mismo inconveniente con las versiones de Project (2013 y 2016), quisiera saber si obtuviste la respuesta de Microsoft.

Te agradezco si la puedes compartir. muchas gracias.

Saludos.

Gustavo

• Edited by Gustavocol Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:14 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:13 AM