none
Event ID 7626 - Cannot start queue Url: Queue: TimesheetQ

Question

• Anyone,

In our companies SharePoint 2010 environment we deployed Project Server 2010, I had not worked with Project Server before. Well after it was installed we were working, when I deployed the December CU with the Project Server updates, we started seeing many issues with Project server. So i decided to go into Project Server Service Application, and DELETE the Project Server PWA's, both of them.

Well, after 2 days, the below error has been coming up over and over.

"Cannot start queue. SSP: 9abb2208-3fdb-4c5c-9b40-36ac51caefcf SiteUID: 4417c652-ad6c-4212-ad73-597f0b86fb5b Url: Queue: ProjectQ"

I have tried to delete the Service application through CA and PowerShell, both state the following error.  

"Error"  Service application cannot be deleted due to existing project sites ..

I have run STSADM –o EnumAllWebs and have found no  orphaned sites 

How do i force a Project server service application to delete.. I want it gone and then start over by creating a new Project Server Service Application.

Guidance is welcome.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you might have an orphaned site collection for the PWA site. Try the following powershell to see if there is one:

$psi = get-spserviceapplication | ? {$_.Typename -like "*Project*}
    $psi

Outcome : This will return the various Project service applications

$sa = get-spserviceapplication | ? {$_.Id -eq "GUID of the Service App from above"}
    $sa

Outcome : Assign the individual service app object to $sa and verify it has been set.

$sc = $sa.SiteCollection
    $sc

Outcome : Will assign the SiteCollection details to $sc and display the contents.

If a site collection is returned, note the Id value. and use the PS below to remove it.

$sa.SiteCollection.Remove("Site Collection ID from above");
    $sc

Let us know how you go,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:57 AM
  • Alex,

Please add detail, I dont understand what you are asking with the powershell command?

What do you mean? *Project*? Is that the Service application, Application Pool, Site ID, DB Name? Walk me through, thanks.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

The first command looks to find the Project Service Application by matching on the word Project.

The second assigns the Project Service App to the varioable $sa.

The third looks for whether there is a site collection assigned to the service app, which it sounds like is the problem and assigns that site collection to the variable $sc.

The last command will remove that site collection, allowing you to remove the service app.

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:24 AM
  • Alex,

Below is what i ran, i ran them all together and the below was the error. Do i not run them together, did i miss something?

PS C:\Users\sp_farm_> $psi = get-spserviceapplication | ? {$_.Typename -
    like "*Project*}
    >> $psi
    >> $sa = get-spserviceapplication | ? {$_.Id -eq "GUID of the Service App from a
    bove"}
    >> $sa
    >> $sc = $sa.SiteCollection
    >> $sc
    >> $sa.SiteCollection.Remove("Site Collection ID from above");
    >> $sc
    >>
    Unexpected token 'GUID' in expression or statement.
    At line:3 char:52
    + $sa = get-spserviceapplication | ? {$_.Id -eq "GUID <<<<  of the Service App
    from above"}
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (GUID:String) [], ParentContainsErr
       orRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

PS C:\Users\sp_farm>

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Yes,

You need to run the commands one at a time.

'The GUID of the Service App from above' should be replaced with the GUID value from the statement above. Smilarly if you find a site collection to delete, you will need to replace the 'Site Collection ID from above' with the actual site collection id value.

Alex Burton
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Alexander,

Again thanks for responding. After running the command the following is the outcome, still not able to delete service app. Anything else?

PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $psi = get-spserviceapplication | where {$_.TypeNa
    me -like "*Project*"};
    PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $psi

WARNING: column "Shared" does not fit into the display and was removed.

Name                      Id                                       Status     P
                                                                                  a
                                                                                  r
                                                                                  e
                                                                                  n
                                                                                  t
    ----                      --                                       ------     -
    Project Server Service... 9abb2208-3fdb-4c5c-9b40-36ac51caefcf     Online     P

PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $a = $psi.Sitecollection | where {$_.SiteID -eq "<
    Guid>"}
    PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $a
    PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $a.Delete()
    You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At line:1 char:10
    + $a.Delete <<<< ()
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Delete:String) [], RuntimeExc
       eption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $a= $psi.Sitecollection | where {$_.SiteID -eq "<G
    uid>"}
    PS C:\Users\sp_farm> $a
    PS C:\Users\sp_farm> stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id "9abb2208-
    3fdb-4c5c-9b40-36ac51caefcf"

Service application cannot be deleted due to existing project sites

• Proposed as answer by Stacy Simpkins Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stacy Simpkins Monday, July 03, 2017 3:24 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Anyone found the solution to this case?

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:19 PM
  • If you haven't resolved this, I suggest that you open a case with Microsoft support.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:20 PM
  • The stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject should only be run with the blessing of the Microsoft SharePoint Project team from Microsoft.  This is why I un-proposed as answer.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nishants/2010/04/14/how-to-delete-orphan-configuration-objects-from-sharepoint-farm/

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Monday, July 03, 2017 3:26 AM