none
Office 2016 has stopped working Error trying to Open Projects with Project Pro 2016 Connected to Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• We recently moved from Project Server 2013 to Project Online. As our company already has Office software, we are connecting to Project Online with our msi installed Project Professional 2016. For most it is working fine, but found two users who get a "Microsoft Office 2016 has stopped working" error every time they try to open or upload a schedule to Project Online. Checking their computers I notice they have Win7, Office 2013, and MS Project Pro 2016 installed (most users have Win 10, Office 2016, Project Pro 2016 installed). I can't seem to find anything in writing that this would not work, but it's definitely not working for them. My questions are these...
    •Is there a known incompatibility between Project Pro 2016 and Office 2013 or Win 7 (or both)?
    •If not, is there a fix or workaround we need to know about to get this software working together?
    •If so, does anyone know where this is documented?

Any help here appreciated. I'm suspecting there are more users with this configuration of software that are going to run into the same issue and looking for a resolution. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Rick Frisby

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:18 PM

All replies

• Rick - I raised a query a while back about licences. I was working with a major corporate that had a lot of Project Pro licences and users could elect to install whatever available version of Project they wished from an internal app install tool.

They were considering moving to Project Online and weighing up the subscription costs. I figured they could use licences they had paid for to use Project Pro 2016 with Project Online and asked around to see if this was possible. The advice I received was that only the "Microsoft Project Online Desktop Client" can be used in conjunction with Project Online. 

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Friday, May 11, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Hmmm... That's interesting because we were told you could connect with msi installed Project Professional 2016 (only) software. Right now we are connecting to Project Online with msi installed Project Professional 2016. Folks who have corporate installed Win 10, Office 2016, and Project Professional 2016 are having no problem connecting to Project Online with full functionality. However, folks with Win7, Office 2013, and Project Professional 2016 can connect, but are not able to open or upload schedules in Project Online. Hence the compatibility/workaround questions.

Rick Frisby

Friday, May 11, 2018 1:49 PM