none
Possible bug: Setting timescale label to none in MS Project 2016

Question

• Hi, I'm running Project 2016, version: 16.0.4519.1000 32-bit.

In MS Project 2013 I frequently used a 3 tiered timescale with specified labels on the 2 first, and the label "none" on the bottom tier.

Meaning I would get the vertical lines for the bottom tier in my schedule, but not waste space on the text label on the timescale. For 3 year long projects this is golden.

The problem in MS Project 2016, as far as I have tested out, is that when I choose label "none" on any of the tiers. The whole timescale goes blank. It's like I'm nullifying and set the whole timescale to "none" when I change this setting.

It would be nice to hear from you guys if this is the same on your end.

1. Open a new project
    2. Open timescale settings
    3. Set middle tier label = "none"

You would expect the results to show text on the bottom tier but not the middle tier, but be presented a totally blank timescale.

• Edited by Dooniem Tuesday, September 19, 2017 10:34 AM Formatting (same font size on all text)
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 10:32 AM

Answers

• Dooniem,

I guess you can now close the thread. This issue is listed as fixed in the Nov 7th update:

• After you set a timescale label to None in a timescaled view such as the Gantt chart, all labels for other timescale tiers disappear, and the label for the tier that you have selected to hide does not disappear.

This is the update link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011227/november-7-2017-update-for-project-2016-kb4011227

And thank you for getting it fixed.

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• Dooniem --

I can confirm the behavior you see.  Looks like a bug, but I doubt it would qualify as serious enough to get Microsoft to fix it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:27 PM
  • I'm in contact with Microsoft at the moment, it might get fixed in a hotfix come November. 

I'll mark your reply "as answer" if that fails, or I'll edit this reply to good news if it does. Thanks for getting back to me letting me know this affects all users.

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Dooniem,

I guess you can now close the thread. This issue is listed as fixed in the Nov 7th update:

• After you set a timescale label to None in a timescaled view such as the Gantt chart, all labels for other timescale tiers disappear, and the label for the tier that you have selected to hide does not disappear.

This is the update link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011227/november-7-2017-update-for-project-2016-kb4011227

And thank you for getting it fixed.

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:30 PM